Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Should I do a charger rebuild or Not ?

Hi guys,
    Just bought this 2008 GTX 215 with 208 hours. The story is:
    - Feb 2010 PPG Florida did a lot of work about 2.5k plus a X-charger install with 42 injectors. No hours marked
    -June 2010 I saw an invoice for winterizing but I guess that was supposed to be just an oil change and marked at 190 hours.
    - June 2011 now it has 208 hours.

The jet ski is clean and runs amazing fast. The mechanic that saw it yesterday put the computer on it and said 19 hours left until the ski will enter "some mode" that will slow down.. Not sure can that be reset so it wont go into the slow down mode ???

The owner said he does `t remember what hours were when the x charger was installed but he said he doesn't think its more than 20 hours...
    Now the deal is on the add he said the ski has 150 but when I got home I saw 208. No big deal I would`ve buy it either way it`s a good ski and great owner.

Now I don`t want to waste my money do a rebuild and 100 hours service if I dont need it. Is there a way to tell ? The mechanic looked at previous history of RPMs and he said it wasn't abused.

Please guys let me know what to do ? Can I get that software he checked the computer from anywhere and the plug I want to see again what it says.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by black96jetta View Post
    Hi guys,
    Just bought this 2008 GTX 215 with 208 hours. The story is:
    - Feb 2010 PPG Florida did a lot of work about 2.5k plus a X-charger install with 42 injectors. No hours marked
    -June 2010 I saw an invoice for winterizing but I guess that was supposed to be just an oil change and marked at 190 hours.
    - June 2011 now it has 208 hours.

The jet ski is clean and runs amazing fast. The mechanic that saw it yesterday put the computer on it and said 19 hours left until the ski will enter "some mode" that will slow down.. Not sure can that be reset so it wont go into the slow down mode ???

The owner said he does `t remember what hours were when the x charger was installed but he said he doesn't think its more than 20 hours...
    Now the deal is on the add he said the ski has 150 but when I got home I saw 208. No big deal I would`ve buy it either way it`s a good ski and great owner.

Now I don`t want to waste my money do a rebuild and 100 hours service if I dont need it. Is there a way to tell ? The mechanic looked at previous history of RPMs and he said it wasn't abused.

Please guys let me know what to do ? Can I get that software he checked the computer from anywhere and the plug I want to see again what it says.
    No way to know for sure on the hours ran on the X-Charger, on average I ride about 50 hours a season so your looking at atleast one maybe one and a half seasons on that charger. If it were mine I would spring for the full rebuild just to be sure and have a good starting point for future reference. Look at it like an insurance policy! As far as the slow mode I'm not sure, never heard of this....

I think he might have meant it has 19 hours left until a maintenance a light comes on. I have never heard of it going into "slow" mode because of maintenance. Some skis have a limp mode to stop you from damaging it when it detects an issue.

I would go with a rebuild. It probably only has 30 hours or so on the x charger judging by the other hours stated on the maintenance, but you will hate yourself if you find out after it explodes. If I ever bought a used ski, I would get the supercharger rebuilt no matter what the hours said.

+1
    thank you. I was thinking to do the same thing. This summer I won't put more than expected 30 to 40 and then take the SC out send it to jerry and get it done to start fresh.

The slow mode he called it something else can`t remember it... he said the engine will go into like the learning key mode ..less power..

+1
    yes it was the limp mode he called it thanks. How can I get that limp mode not to kick in anymore lol ?

I mean the jet ski runs fast 8000rpms+ 70miles .. I think the charger is good. I read as soon as charger slips it will go down on power.
    The X charger should have metal washers right ? Also the 2008 stock i believe that`s the year when Sea Doo started to change from ceramic to metal washers on their stock SC right ?

Thanks a lot guys you are awsome.

In 08 they went to metals, yes. Same as when they came out with the X model. I seem to recall a few cases were people had stock metal washers fail, but I don't think those were on stock skis. I don't recall Seadoo ever having the ski go into limp mode for maintenance, but I could be wrong.

+1
    so weird on BUDS it tells you in 19 hours it will go in limp mode. Why would that be... it should tell u the reason of why it will go in that mode in 19hours.

a rebuild now could avoid a sc letting go through the motor

I just bought a gtx 185 s/c with 140 hrs. It has had the s/c washer upgrade, but the guy I bought this from is not sure if the supercharger has had a full rebuild or just the washers done. I understand the washers are the most important thing to take care of but if something else fails besides the washers can it damage my motor? There is no surging and everything seems as it should.

+1
    Washers first, yes ... but if the chargers get a ton of hours on them, the bearings can wear out and let go, destroying the SC and getting lots of metal in the motor too. It is good preventative maintenance to get a full rebuild every 100 hours. If it was my ski, I would do a full rebuild of the SC for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information