More SeaDoo woes... will problems ever end???

3 of my 4 jet skis quit on me last weekend, so started working on the '98 SPX. I had just rebuilt that engine over the winter. Taking it easy on it and it was doing Okay. Then it sputtered and stopped. Now that I have it home I found a cooling line split... which in turn let the engine get too hot. (Nope, no indicator light. All insturmentation taken off of it by the previous owner since it was a race ski.) Also discovered that the compression on the Mag side jug dropped from 160 psi to 120. The PTO jug dropped from 160 down to 30!!! Hopefully I just collapsed the rings! Else that was a VERY short lived top end rebuild. Will need to pull it on apart to find out. Too much work for last night, so I turned to another ski hoping for an easier fix.

The '96 GTI was also making its first water showing since a winter rebuild of the top end. But it was not taking a throttle so I parked it. Got it home and checked all fuel lines. Plenty of flow. Decided to pull the single carb setup apart. It was spotless. Cleaned it anyway. Did put a new spring in it to raise the pop off pressure from 35 (which is too low) to 55 psi. Put it all back together and put the ski on the water hose and ran it some. Did this several times. It seemed to be doing better... then I turned it off again but this time... the @%!& PTO kept spinning!!! Somthing broke!!! The dang motor cranks but the PTO free spins. I guess the splines are shot!!!

Too late in the evening and enough bad news. Called it a night without even looking at the 3rd broken ski.

Remember the movie with Diane Lane and Tom Hanks called "The Money Pit"? I can film my own now with these SeaDoos.

+1
    I would say sell all 4 of them and buy a 4 stroke.

+1
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I would say sell all 4 of them and buy a 4 stroke.

Ha!!! Yep... I think you're correct! Went that way on my dirt bike and love it. (Honda XR650L)

4-stroke PWC owners love theirs too... until they break. Much more difficult to work on.
    But they simply don't require all the maintenance these 2-stroke version do.

+1
    I had 2 strokes back in the day and had alot of fun riding them. Right now I would like to find a good used GSX.......but my PX is a blast.

+1
    well if you can do it correctly then i think the 2strokes will last also...but ofcourse thinking of going 4strokes but i heard its a pain in the @ss when it breaks down.

Winterizing and properly maintaining them are a PITA. First, need to replace ceramic washers in the turbo. Then for storage, you need to lubriacte the throttle valve flap, replace the oil filter, change the oil with $10 Seadoo Oil, etc. etc. etc. Then if they do break down, LOOK OUT!!! I'll stick with my two dependable 2 strokes, thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Winterizing and properly maintaining them are a PITA. First, need to replace ceramic washers in the turbo. Then for storage, you need to lubriacte the throttle valve flap, replace the oil filter, change the oil with $10 Seadoo Oil, etc. etc. etc. Then if they do break down, LOOK OUT!!! I'll stick with my two dependable 2 strokes, thanks.
    I hope you do stick with your 2 strokes. Because if you start riding 4 strokes the first thing you will need to figure out is that Seadoo's dont come with turbos and the SC's have not come with ceramic washers since 2007.

I hope you do stick with your 2 strokes. Because if you start riding 4 strokes the first thing you will need to figure out is that Seadoo's dont come with turbos and the SC's have not come with ceramic washers since 2007.

oooohhh! was that a verbal bitchslap?

+1 very funnnnny

Thread Information