Possible clutch failure what should I do? Still under warranty

I have a stage 2ish with the r3 reflash intercooler,low boost wheel etc.
    My problem is this I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer so I might be able to get them to do it under warranty but do I want the 2011 clutch? So should I byte the bullet and just go with the superclutch?? I know some of you guys have gone through this so your advice is really appreciated. Thanks

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kumba23 View Post
    My problem is this I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer so I might be able to get them to do it under warranty but do I want the 2011 clutch? So should I byte the bullet and just go with the superclutch?? I know some of you guys have gone through this so your advice is really appreciated. Thanks
    If the gears are good the sprags are still available and most likely that's all that went.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    If the gears are good the sprags are still available and most likely that's all that went.
    Agreed. I'm going to try this first and see how long it lasts again. The outcome will determine how soon I go with the entire 2011 assembly AND the Superclutch down the road. I'm hoping to get another 60 hours or so on just a re-build.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kumba23 View Post
    Tough question. I'm going thru this right now.
    You still need to fix the clutch whether you get the Super clutch or not. So either (1) try and fix it with just "parts" and see how long it lasts again, (2) have the entire assembly changed out with a 2011 version, (3) fix it with "Parts" AND do the Superclutch, or (4) have the entire assembly changed out with a 2011 version AND do the Superclutch

The ethical debate about fixing it under warranty is an entirely different dialog.
    Personally, having it fixed under warranty is an integrity issue for me....but thats just me.

+1
    I have the 2011 and I am either going to take it out and rebuild my old clutch or get the Superclutch.

If I fix it with parts and do the superclutch will it be more reliable than just fixing it with parts? Thats great advice I might just fix the existing clutch if possible the only thing is how long will it last?If the dealer does it under warranty what would they replace the whole clutch or fix existing clutch? We are all ginny pigs right now its a shame because I bet we all love our skies and if I went out tomorrow and bought another ski it would still be a yamaha, I think yamaha knows that they have a great reputation and that might be one of the reasons they havent addresed the issue. Thanks again everyone for your help.

+1
    What about post #101 on http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...highlight=idea?

Is anyone listening that could machine this part??? It's the only part needed to be able to "rebuild" a pre 2011 clutch.

+1
    I didn't think clutches were covered under warranty. BMW didn't cover the clutch on my M3.

clutch on a car is considered a wear item....yamaha will cover the repair under warranty...as long as you haven't voided it with mods

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    I didn't think clutches were covered under warranty. BMW didn't cover the clutch on my M3.

+1
    Well dip me in shit! That is good to know. I have 4 years left.

Thread Information