Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2010 spacer issue

Pulled my pump/ prop today to replace the OEM 2009 impeller spacer with the 2010 gold version. When the prop is torqued down the driveshaft won't spin. The new spacer is binding on the bearing I believe, which is why it spins fine without being torqued down. I double checked to make sure I had it installed the right way and made sure it was seated in the middle and still had the issue. I ended up putting the old spacer back on and everything was fine. Not sure why this happened....

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Pulled my pump/ prop today to replace the OEM 2009 impeller spacer with the 2010 gold version. When the prop is torqued down the driveshaft won't spin. The new spacer is binding on the bearing I believe, which is why it spins fine without being torqued down. I double checked to make sure I had it installed the right way and made sure it was seated in the middle and still had the issue. I ended up putting the old spacer back on and everything was fine. Not sure why this happened....
    That's why the bearings and seals go bad because it rubs the seal then tears it and water goes in. I always install the step toward the impeller and never had a problem with water going in the bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    That's why the bearings and seals go bad because it rubs the seal then tears it and water goes in. I always install the step toward the impeller and never had a problem with water going in the bearings.
    Jim, I'm not sure how you mean "the step towards the impeller"? I installed it with the flat side touching the bearing.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Jim, I'm not sure how you mean "the step towards the impeller"? I installed it with the flat side touching the bearing.
    From the factory the step goes toward the seal i flip it around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    From the factory the step goes toward the seal i flip it around.
    Thanks, I gottcha. From the factory the flat side goes against the seal according to the service manual.

+1
    Jim do you just do this with the 2010 spacer or all of them? I just got my pump back from the dealer with new bearings and seals and it didn't spin as freely as I would have liked, but I assumed it was a little tight because everything was new and packed full of grease inside.

+1
    Here is something i came across on the parts finder the other day. But, now that i see this thread, I'll ask.

On the 08-09 sho's, the spacer(silver) is part# 6S5-R1348-00-00
    In 2010, they changed it out to the gold spacer, part# 6BH-51348-00-00
    In 2011, there is a new superseded part# 6BH-51348-01-00... Did they change the spacer again for 2011? with my knowledge of yamaha. they don't change a part # unless there has been a physical change to the part.

+1
    "the flat side must face the impeller"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	242167

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I've been using the 2010 Gold spacer for about a year now with the flat side against the impeller and no issues. I wonder if there's a difference if you use a stock prop, Solas or Skat and the gold spacer??? I've only used the Skat props since I put the new Gold spacer on.

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Here is something i came across on the parts finder the other day. But, now that i see this thread, I'll ask.

On the 08-09 sho's, the spacer(silver) is part# 6S5-R1348-00-00
    In 2010, they changed it out to the gold spacer, part# 6BH-51348-00-00
    In 2011, there is a new superseded part# 6BH-51348-01-00... Did they change the spacer again for 2011? with my knowledge of yamaha. they don't change a part # unless there has been a physical change to the part.
    Tony, doesn`t it have something to do with the original silver spacer being soft and deforming or crushing under the extra torque in the 1800cc application`s?
    I have noticed that even on the GPR that after a few prop changes the silver spacer would crush just enough to rub the seal, after I noticed this, I simply replace the spacer and use with every new prop installed...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information