Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you think this could be a problem?

I had exhaust overheating issue and melted my rubber exhaust. Can't lay my hands on the proper part:
    5411376 HOSE,CROSSOVER,SL $78.90

But I was able to get 750 hose for $20. I have cut it in half and put a steel tube in between to lengthen it. Wish I had a pic. The tube is probably 1/4" thick or less, but I am wondering if that lip will hinder the flow of water being blown out of the exhaust and could cause another overheating problem.

i wouldn't think so i would be more concerned about the steel pipe rusting

I don't think it is going to rust, it is a very light color, I think it may be galvanized. I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

galvination is a very thin coat of zinc

zinc is used as a sacrificial metal it might not take long for it to wear off subjecting it to heat and water im not an expert at any of this stuff but if it was me i'd maybe use some aluminum

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm more concerned about what caused the exhaust to overheat in the first place. A metal liner didn't fix the problem, just prolong it from happening again.

way to look at the big picture

I have gone through it with air and water and coat hangers every which way now whatever might have caused it has to be gone. I have to try it.

It is just a little trick of water that comes out the exhaust yes? It comes out the top of the exhaust from the orifice into the bottom then through the waterbox ? Does it fillup while driving or just the trickle always passing through? I have changed the waterbox too just to be safe.

P.S. The metal tube is just an extension in the center to make it fit. Not there to protect from heat.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There should be more than just a trickle of water. It should be under pressure, so it should have a steady stream when under way. Maybe a trickle when just idling.

Yes water comes through the top fitting and out near the middle of the pipe. It then exits the pipe and cools the rubber hoses.

It will only fill up the waterbox when extended idling. Once you hit the gas, the exhaust pressure forces any built up water out the exit.

Yes a small stream is more accurate, it shoots out about 6 inches from the orifice, it just looks more like a trickle coming out of the larger exhaust pipe.

So you don't think it will be an issue that there is a lip that the water will hit on its way out? I was afraid it is hitting the lip and falling back into the waterbox and inhibiting the exhaust from exiting therefore creating backpressure and heating?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information