Exclamation yamah 1200 suv stopped firing please help!

I have a 1200 suv yam. that i put a starter on this past thursday and started it up and rode it all day friday.Went to start it saturday and it was hard to start,then it fired up for just a little bit and ran bout 12-15 mph for bout a minute or 2 and then died and never started again.Checked the fire on all 3 cylinders and no fire .It has 110 compression on mag cyl.,middle cyl.has 115 and pto has 120.Getinng plenty of fuel,just no fire.So i pulled the front fly wheel cover off to check the armature assembly and found nothing but water,oil gas mixture liquid,like the front crank seal is leaking causing the tan lookin mixture.But dont kno if armature assembly,cdi or one of the 3 pic ups is bad.No fire on any cylinder.All wires r good and ground is good.Cranks over good and chips twice before trying to start and no warning signs,buzzered or lights. Any ideas would b great! Thanx,Motormadness!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by motormadness View Post
    I have a 1200 suv yam. that i put a starter on this past thursday and started it up and rode it all day friday.Went to start it saturday and it was hard to start,then it fired up for just a little bit and ran bout 12-15 mph for bout a minute or 2 and then died and never started again.Checked the fire on all 3 cylinders and no fire .It has 110 compression on mag cyl.,middle cyl.has 115 and pto has 120.Getinng plenty of fuel,just no fire.So i pulled the front fly wheel cover off to check the armature assembly and found nothing but water,oil gas mixture liquid,like the front crank seal is leaking causing the tan lookin mixture.But dont kno if armature assembly,cdi or one of the 3 pic ups is bad.No fire on any cylinder.All wires r good and ground is good.Cranks over good and chips twice before trying to start and no warning signs,buzzered or lights. Any ideas would b great! Thanx,Motormadness!
    Sounds like the charge coil has failed, my GP1200 has the same engine and it happens. Check the charge coil with a multi meter Black/Red -Brown 172 ohms -258 ohms and Black / Red - Blue 656.0 ohms -984.0 Ohms this coil sends power to the CDI and then to the ignition coils.
    If its failed then no spark will be produced.
    Last edited by Adam; 06-13-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: More info

Thanx man! I'll check tonite and let ya kno.

Adam, again thanx for input.I check the charge coil wires that u mentioned, black/red --brown and black/red -- blue with a fluke digital ohm meter and it read nothing.Double checking the digital ohm meter to see if its working i used a analog needle meter to see if it would move the needle and it did not.So goin off of how u said to check it, im assuming the charge coil ( armature assembly) is bad.Not knowing if the cdi or pulsar coils are bad i guess i will start by replacing the chargeing coil first.R they any way to check the 3 pulsar coils down around the charging coil?Just hate to buy a charging coil and the pulsar coils or cdi b bad too.Do u think the crankshaft seal under the mag fly wheel that was leaking would have caused the coil to short out? If u have any more ideas ,Please let me kno! Thanx

Adam, thanx for ur help! Yelp, u was right, the stator assy was bad and i replaced it and crank seal today and it runs great! Thanx again,Motormadness.

I'm having similar problems with 01 gp1200r...... Mine won't attempt to start, like there's no power, the display doesn't even come on. I can manually jump the starter relay and it fires. So far I have replaced the starter coil, 3 solenoids, new battery, & CDI box. I've checked the wiring from the kill switch to the CDI box, so far all good. Any ideas?

How's ur ground? Maybe check it or move to another place with no paint.fuses good!

Tulittletulate, i had a 99 gtx limited seadoo so this to me but it would not fire regularly.I had to keep movin ground round to get it to fire.And every time i would move it,it would sparkoff the ground wire.Come to find out it was the mpem! Maybe check to c if ur ground is sparking every time u touch it n a different place.Just a thought! Is the area where the lanyard slides under raising up enough to make contact?And does it have a crank sensor on it not picin up timing or the pulsar pic ups shorted out and not workinor woodruff key sheared on the crankshaft under mag flywheel?Check between the flywheel and stator assy. to c if there r metal shavings in there,i noticed this will short out cdi or mpem very quick,but if its firing by jumping the solinoid then u probaly have other issues.If i think of anything else b sure to let u kno!

Thread Information