Pump upgrade 250x to 300x? What do people mean?

Before anyone rips my head off for not searching - I have spent the last two hours looking on this forum and need your help please!

My Ultra 250x is in the shop getting the 100hr service. It was cavitating before it went in - mechanic has opened it up and reckons the drive shaft could be toast as it is rusty and is pitting after the washer / seal broke.

I know very little about mechanics but I do trust the mechanic. He's going to send me some photos of the drive shaft tomorrow and a quote. Reckons he could put it back in 'as is' and it could last for up to 6 months before completely shitting itself. The clearances are out too.

I have already done the double bearing and impellor shaft upgrade at the last service.

Anyway here are my questions:

1. Is this the time to do the "upgrade the pump etc to the new 300x one". What parts are people talking about exactly here?
    2. Why would you do this if you've already done the double bearing / impellor shaft upgrade?

Thanks guys

May as well do the 300X pump bearing upgrade as soon as possible. Not many, if any, reported on water 2010 failures but I figure the stronger the better. Part #s were listed a couple of times and are in shop manual. I will search and post them for you later if no one else does in interim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	242293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	242294
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    May as well do the 300X pump bearing upgrade as soon as possible. Not many, if any, reported on water 2010 failures but I figure the stronger the better. Part #s were listed a couple of times and are in shop manual. I will search and post them for you later if no one else does in interim.
    Thanks mate that would be appreciated.

Here's pictures of the damage. Quoted ~$1200 for impellor and drive shaft (replacement apparently necessary due to the rust / corrosion) ~$800 for labour. I did a quick check and I think the parts are priced on the high-side... anyone know what a reasonable amount of time to replace the drive shaft would be?

$2000 to get her running sweetly again is more money than I have right now, so open to any suggestions on where to source the parts from...

Thanks guys.

P.S. No wonder my ski was cavitating!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macster View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	242293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	242294

Thanks mate that would be appreciated.

Here's pictures of the damage. Quoted ~$1200 for impellor and drive shaft (replacement apparently necessary due to the rust / corrosion) ~$800 for labour. I did a quick check and I think the parts are priced on the high-side... anyone know what a reasonable amount of time to replace the drive shaft would be?

$2000 to get her running sweetly again is more money than I have right now, so open to any suggestions on where to source the parts from...

Thanks guys.

P.S. No wonder my ski was cavitating!
    the reason it was cavitating was that shit hanging of the drive shaft plain and simple
    $ 800 labour is nothing short of him ripping you off
    $1200 is fucking crazy , he is sticking thing in holes you wont like

$359 for a drive shaft from the online store, IF it needs replacing at all ??????
    $250 for a aftermarket prop
    $250 more for shits and giggles
    thats a long way from 1200

Waz

LOL bit of a difference in price!

+1
    That prop and its rust dont look too bad, nothing a wire brush wont eat, what condition are the splines on the drive shaft in. The most important question is what is the clearance between the prop and the housing I suspect a nice big gap (like waz's pants). If the splines on the drive shaft clean up good on the wire brush, some grease and a trip of the pump and prop to impros with the mods mentions should see you back on the water for around 400 ish. Dont bend over for your mechanic.....

+1
    he already has the 300 upgrade, except for maybe a nut on the end of the shaft prices quoted would have included engine removal if they were going down the path of replacing the drive shaft. im with waz clean it up, tighten the clearance and get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post

Thanks guys - turns out Waz and I are neighbors. I think I'll collect the ski 'as is' and let Waz take a look at it. Really appreciate everyones comments and tips - awesome forum!

So, sirbreaks is a neighbor and you can drop off ski anytime, 24/7? Youre lucky! I guess you dont need the parts list now.

Thread Information