Banned User
    +1

LR module question

I was running my SL 900 yesterday and noticed that I was getting 17 volts on the display while running it. Its around 14 at idle. Im assuming I have a bad LR module. Also, should I be able to measure any voltage on the orange wire without the engine running? I am measuring battery voltage on the orange wire, however, I cannot run the trim motor or bilge with the engine off.

+1
    The MFD volts could be way off, you need to check it at the battery with a meter.

Make sure the LR bracket is clean and grounded well to the back of the terminal board. (That is the only ground for the LR and needs it to work properly)

The 96 900 wiring diagram does not show a bilge button.
    The trim will not work with engine off,unless the bilge button is presssed ( if it has one)

Banned User
    +1
    I did check with a meter today. Got well over 16 volts. I am aware that the bilge and trim will not work with the engine off, Im just wondering if I should be measuring any voltage on the orange wire with the engine off. The trim doesn't work with the engine off, however I still read battery voltage on the orange wire.

+1
    I'm pretty sure the LR will need a good ground-to shut off- shut down voltage on the orange.
    I remember having some voltage once-when the orange was disconnected-but no amprege.Kinda just bleeding voltage-as soon as there was any load or normal ground from bilge, it disappeared.

Poor ground could cause both of your concerns.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I did check with a meter today. Got well over 16 volts. I am aware that the bilge and trim will not work with the engine off, Im just wondering if I should be measuring any voltage on the orange wire with the engine off.

The trim doesn't work with the engine off, however I still read battery voltage on the orange wire.
    Sounds like the ground for the LR module (and possibly the bilge pump) is not good.

Disconnect battery and measure ohms from engine case to all the ground points in the electrical box, especially the LR module. Should be zero ohms in all cases.

Banned User
    +1
    I will check that in the box. I'm not having any other issues electrically. I'm pretty sure I have a bad LR module though......that would be about right for this ski. Everything else on it has been messed up in some way, shape, or form.

Banned User
    +1
    Ground is perfect. I still measure battery voltage on the orange wire with the engine off. Im assuming this is not correct. Volts still climb up to near 17 with engine revving around 4000 RPM. I have a replacement LR module on the way from John Zigler.

Thread Information