Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MELT DOWN!!!

+1

MELT DOWN!!!

Well here are some pics of my 07 1300 pistons. The one that burned down is the mag cylinder. Other than spending a month at lake of the ozarks and injesting some water through the K&N and bogging the motor some their has been no unusual changes. the EFI controller is at the same settings for the past two seasons and the oil pump runs wide open all the time. Any ideas on what would have caused this. She ran perfect one second and then just shut down to 40 mph in a second, thought at first it was electrical because of the immediate change, a fowled plug or something. ( I wish!)
    the first two pics are of the center and pto pistons and the rest are of the mag piston, melted down on the exhaust side as you can see. I have been running regular pump gas with ethenol for the past three years but maybe it's bad gas anyway, alcohol burn down or something??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone june 14_2011 326.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	242205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone june 14_2011 325.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	242204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone june 14_2011 327.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	242203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone june 14_2011 328.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	242202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone june 14_2011 329.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	242201  

im no pro but looks like youve had a "hot spot" occur on the edge of that piston, not sure whats caused it maybe excess carbon in the cylinder has started glowing hot and built up so much heat right on the exhaust port its melted? thats just a thought.

+1
    check the oil line on that cylinder...you look to be very rich which should be safe...how much water went into the motor and how was the "bog" you cant compress a liquid ,so if you got enough water in a cylinder it can knock down the ring lands pinching the rings which results in no gas seal then fire can blow past melting the pistons or water collapse the domes or bend rods.....too much water getting in the motor is a death sentence.....looks like its time for you to go big bore...good luck

+1
    How old was the gas when you rode it last?

+1

Talking Hey guys!

Thanks for the help. I have rebuilt a few hydrolocks at the shop and water definitely doesn't compress! Broken pistons and twisted cranks is the result. However I never ran into a "partial" hydrolock effecting rings and such. Maybe that's whats goin on? The gas was fresh but with ethanol blend. Gonna throw a wsm piston .75 over, by the gouging that's pretty deep I think I need that much. And run her and check plug color. Hope it was the water. It is the cylinder closest to the intake after all. Thanks.

why not just get an OEM standard size and send the cylinder to millenium tech?

+1

Hey Andy

That's my thoughts the next time (hopefully their isn't one) I have to do that cylinder. WSM piston kit, 70 plus dollars. Bore job 40 dollars. Cheap way to go for now.

Quote Originally Posted by WAVEATER View Post
    That's my thoughts the next time (hopefully their isn't one) I have to do that cylinder. WSM piston kit, 70 plus dollars. Bore job 40 dollars. Cheap way to go for now.
    you know those cylinders are nikasil coated? if the cylinder is damaged it needs to be stripped, repaired if needed, bored, renik`d, diamond honed...

+1
    Yea never was a nikasil fan. Wonder after boring if I can leave it as steel sleeve and not recoat it with nikasil? My SL 750 has steel sleaves and it makes it Alot easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by WAVEATER View Post
    Yea never was a nikasil fan. Wonder after boring if I can leave it as steel sleeve and not recoat it with nikasil? My SL 750 has steel sleaves and it makes it Alot easier to work with.
    Its aluminum, with nikasil coating. There is no iron sleeve. You will either have to have it bored out and sleeved, or re nik'd. ~230 to have it welded and re-nik'd by Millenium. I believe there is a new non-valve 1300 cylinder and OEM piston for sale in the classifieds by "smacota1". Might be a cheaper/faster option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information