GP1200R Starter Issue

Alright here is what is happening. I have recently rebuilt the top end of the ski. Somehere during the rebuild we blew a head gasket and the starter went bad. We replaced it all and now the starter is not working right.

If the plugs are off the starter turns the crankshaft fine. But the minute we add any bit of compression, even just one spark plug, the starter will no longer turn the crankshaft. This is a brand new starter. I am not sure what to look at from here. The battery is fully charged as far as I can tell. Is there anything else to look at? I did not replace the bendix because I didn't have time to pull the whole exhaust out but if I need to do that then I will.

thanks

+1
    I was working on a seadoo that was doing something similar so i pulled all the plugs and spun it over and gas went everywhere so got some rags and kept spinning it till all the gas was gone then it fired wright up.

Make sure if yours has this problem you dont get a spark from the plug to ignite the fuel.

The problem with the seadoo was the lower vent valve on the tank was bad and wile sitting in the sun built pressure in the tank forcing gas through the carbs and filling the crank case with gas. hope this helps

Its definitely not full of gas. It did have water in the crankcase from the head gasket blowing but we have gotten all the water out for sure. We purged the engine for a while until no more water was coming up.

I cant get any gas into the engine until I can get the thing turning. It seriously acts as though it either isn't getting enough power or the starter is bad. But the starter is new for sure. The starter is turning I just wonder if the compression is so much that it is keeping it from turning the flywheel?

+1
    what actually did you do to the top end. if you didnt shave the head or something like that it should turn over with a good starter. when you say new did you buy a new starter or have that one built. if you think its too much compression remove all the plugs and test one cylinder at a time with throttle held wide open. surly it will spin with one plug in unless the piston is hitting the head. how much clearance did you have when you put the head back on.

Also check your ground cable for corrosion at the battery and starter. Keep us posted

To make a long story short we had a meltdown in the 3rd cylinder. It wasn't terrible but none the less it melted and we had to replace the 3rd piston and rings. For the cylinder wall we just had to hone it out because it has not caused any gauges but rather just melted some of the aluminum to the side wall. We went a head and hones out all the cylinders and replaced all the rings. We replaced all the gaskets as well and rebuilt all the carburetors. We also replaced all the oil and fuel lines because they were old and we figured we mine as well.

Once we got everything together it ran. We were able to crank it on dry land and ran fine. We had the engine running and cut it off before we cut the water hose off so we ended up getting water backed up in the engine. We got all the water out but not before we blew the head gasket because the water didn't compress and came out the gasket. We replaced that and got all the water out for sure. But during the purging process the starter got burned up. So we replaced the starter.

So now when we start the ski the pistons move fine with no spark plugs in. If I put one spark plug in that is enough to keep the starter from turning the engine. It will turn every couple of seconds. If I put one more spark plug in then I will never get it turned over again. It makes a loud noise like the starter is spinning but the flywheel never engages. But once I take all the spark plugs out the flywheel engages just fine. It acts like there is either not enough power to the starter or the starter is bad, but its brand new. I checked the cables coming from the battery and to the starter as well. They all seem to be clean and connected tightly. I'm kind of lost with this.

The noise the starter is making now is the same one that the old starter was. That is the whole reason we replaced it. I am starting to wonder if the older starter was even bad, we might have another problem.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help so far.

+1
    Well you could have sheared the key way on the fly wheel if the starter sounds like it is turning but the piston is not moving up and down. the bad thing about hydro locking one is you could have damaged the reeds as well. the best thing i could advise is to pull the front cover and remove the fly wheel and check the key way and as bad as it sounds pull it back down and check the rods to make sure you didnt damage or warp one when it locked.

Thread Information