Thread: use anti sieze?

use anti sieze?

sorry for all the questions, I'm new at this and anxiously await your replies!....I may be taking my head off and looking for clues to probs...should I use anti sieze when putting bolts back? just searched 5 pages and couldn't find...more replies stating the use of blue loctite...thanks!

ok, took off heads, everything thinks pretty good to me, what do ya think?? should I get new gaskets? (both head and cover?)
    also, I'm thinking of milling a few thou off the heads even though they look good, is there a standard amount? thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010007.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	242243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	242244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010009.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	242245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	242246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	242247  

+1
    Get with Jim of Jim's Performance about milling the head. Seems there is something about not milling as much off the back cylinder for some reason. May only be on 1200R's not 1300, but it's worth asking.

I think I've been using red, 271 Loctite on my cases & cylinders.

I think most of the guys lean toward replacing gaskets, better to err on side of caution.

thank you!....has anyone ever heard of reseating(milling) the area where the plug sits? I'm asking because there seems to be a little oil accumulated around the plugs and I'm wondering if this could be a problem even though the plugs are torqued to spec or a little over???...also compression is a little low...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    sorry for all the questions, I'm new at this and anxiously await your replies!....I may be taking my head off and looking for clues to probs...should I use anti sieze when putting bolts back? just searched 5 pages and couldn't find...more replies stating the use of blue loctite...thanks!
    Head bolts..... blue locktite.... torque to specs and in the proper sequence After a few hours of riding, double check the torque on the bolts. They sometimes loosen. Use antiseize when there is a lot of chance of exposure to the water, and not a lot of vibration such as your pump, trim tabs, and sponsons.

Head gaskets can be reused a few times, but you really should get new base gaskets.

Check the cross hatching in each cylinder. If it is still there, put it back together..... especially if you have low hours. Hone and put fresh rings in it other wise.

If you are going to mill the head, get it done by someone who knows this engine. They may want to reshape your domes to stave off detonation. Also if you do this I am certain that they will tell you to rejet your carbs. Jim's performance and Harry at Group K are two that come to mind. They will probably recommend 145-150 psig (and 93 octane) for rec riding.

Having your head milled opens the door to many different possiblilites, and people have different ideas on how to use this compression to generate more power. It usually involves the addition of aftermarket flame arrestors, a new brain box (cdi), taller impeller, and of course a tachometer that helps you to monitor your motor as you are tuning. What I am saying is think long and hard before you take this next step. Basicly it is called a "stage II" recreational boat, and it can get expensive.

The never ending quest for more power is very addicting!

salty, thanks for awesome reply!...not sure what/where you mean about cross hatch tho...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    salty, thanks for awesome reply!...not sure what/where you mean about cross hatch tho...
    Take a close look at your cylinder walls....you will see a nice 45 degree pattern called cross hatch. If it looks good and prominent...run it, if not hone it.

guys, thanks again!..I've been reading PAGES of threads trying to find my problem and came across some "piston wash" threads...mine look very lean, do you agree? remedy? thanks!

Thread Information