Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

pump assembly question: last one.... I hope

ok, I only started a new thread because I'm outside working on it now, and didn't really find anything after a quick search.

I've got the impeller and bearings and seals and stuff together, and went to slide it in place to test fit and it is super tight. So tight that I'll have to use some force, maybe a mallet to get it in. I'm pretty sure its the impeller fitting to tight into the housing. Is this normal? Will it loosen up a bit after some use?
    I know the tollerances have to be really close for all this to work correctly. I just want to ask before I force it together.

+1
    The impeller should not be scraping the wear ring once you have the pump in there. There should be a tiny bit of clearance all the way around the prop.

Is this a new prop?

new aftermarket prop
    old housing
    before I got it it spent time in salt water a few yrs ago, but hasn't been used in several years

the prop will go in almost 1/2" and then it binds up
    I'm trying to get the prop back off the shaft to see if just the prop will go in there by itself

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    new aftermarket prop
    old housing
    before I got it it spent time in salt water a few yrs ago, but hasn't been used in several years
    Check the liner. Sometimes salt gets between the aluminum housing & SST liner & causes it to bulge out from corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Check the liner. Sometimes salt gets between the aluminum housing & SST liner & causes it to bulge out from corrosion.
    yeah, I took the prop back off the shaft and if I play with it I can get it to go all the way in the housing. it binds up in one or two spots when it is where it would sit. if I push it further back it spins freely.
    Also I can run my fingers over the inside of the housing and feel at least one bulge. Any way to fix this or does the housing need to be replaced? Think I can get it all together, fire it up and let the prop smooth it out?

Also, there isn't a liner that comes out, or are you just referring to the coating of the housing?

+1
    yeah, I took the prop back off the shaft and if I play with it I can get it to go all the way in the housing. it binds up in one or two spots when it is where it would sit. if I push it further back it spins freely.
    Also I can run my fingers over the inside of the housing and feel at least one bulge. Any way to fix this or does the housing need to be replaced? Think I can get it all together, fire it up and let the prop smooth it out?

Also, there isn't a liner that comes out, or are you just referring to the coating of the housing?
    Ya need a new one. Don't run it or you'll damage your new prop. Riva makes a solid SST housing to prevent that issue from happening again...it's about the same price as a OEM replacement. You can also try the classifieds for a used one on the cheap.

This is listed under GPR parts but I'm pretty sure all years & models use the same 155 housing. Double check the part # first though.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=338

that's what I was afraid of. A friend was over watching/lending a hand, and said he'd call another friend with a machine shop hook up. His idea was to have it machined/honed out like you would a cylinder. Has anyone done that?

Looks like I'll have to start searching for a new one

what are your thoughts on going with a new housing that holds a plastic wear ring?

+1
    that's what I was afraid of. A friend was over watching/lending a hand, and said he'd call another friend with a machine shop hook up. His idea was to have it machined/honed out like you would a cylinder. Has anyone done that?

Looks like I'll have to start searching for a new one
    not recommended but, you can just grind down the high spots to be able to ride in the mean time while you wait for your new liner, because eventually it will swell back up and damage your new impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information