Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75

    pump assembly question: last one.... I hope

    ok, I only started a new thread because I'm outside working on it now, and didn't really find anything after a quick search.

    I've got the impeller and bearings and seals and stuff together, and went to slide it in place to test fit and it is super tight. So tight that I'll have to use some force, maybe a mallet to get it in. I'm pretty sure its the impeller fitting to tight into the housing. Is this normal? Will it loosen up a bit after some use?
    I know the tollerances have to be really close for all this to work correctly. I just want to ask before I force it together.


  2. #2
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    The impeller should not be scraping the wear ring once you have the pump in there. There should be a tiny bit of clearance all the way around the prop.

    Is this a new prop?

  3. #3
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75
    new aftermarket prop
    old housing
    before I got it it spent time in salt water a few yrs ago, but hasn't been used in several years

  4. #4
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75
    the prop will go in almost 1/2" and then it binds up
    I'm trying to get the prop back off the shaft to see if just the prop will go in there by itself

  5. #5
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,801
    +1
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    new aftermarket prop
    old housing
    before I got it it spent time in salt water a few yrs ago, but hasn't been used in several years
    Check the liner. Sometimes salt gets between the aluminum housing & SST liner & causes it to bulge out from corrosion.

  6. #6
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Check the liner. Sometimes salt gets between the aluminum housing & SST liner & causes it to bulge out from corrosion.
    yeah, I took the prop back off the shaft and if I play with it I can get it to go all the way in the housing. it binds up in one or two spots when it is where it would sit. if I push it further back it spins freely.
    Also I can run my fingers over the inside of the housing and feel at least one bulge. Any way to fix this or does the housing need to be replaced? Think I can get it all together, fire it up and let the prop smooth it out?

    Also, there isn't a liner that comes out, or are you just referring to the coating of the housing?

  7. #7
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,801
    +1
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    yeah, I took the prop back off the shaft and if I play with it I can get it to go all the way in the housing. it binds up in one or two spots when it is where it would sit. if I push it further back it spins freely.
    Also I can run my fingers over the inside of the housing and feel at least one bulge. Any way to fix this or does the housing need to be replaced? Think I can get it all together, fire it up and let the prop smooth it out?

    Also, there isn't a liner that comes out, or are you just referring to the coating of the housing?
    Ya need a new one. Don't run it or you'll damage your new prop. Riva makes a solid SST housing to prevent that issue from happening again...it's about the same price as a OEM replacement. You can also try the classifieds for a used one on the cheap.

    This is listed under GPR parts but I'm pretty sure all years & models use the same 155 housing. Double check the part # first though.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=338

  8. #8
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75
    that's what I was afraid of. A friend was over watching/lending a hand, and said he'd call another friend with a machine shop hook up. His idea was to have it machined/honed out like you would a cylinder. Has anyone done that?

    Looks like I'll have to start searching for a new one

  9. #9
    unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    75
    what are your thoughts on going with a new housing that holds a plastic wear ring?

  10. #10
    305coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    cape coral, florida USA
    Posts
    2,362
    +1
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    that's what I was afraid of. A friend was over watching/lending a hand, and said he'd call another friend with a machine shop hook up. His idea was to have it machined/honed out like you would a cylinder. Has anyone done that?

    Looks like I'll have to start searching for a new one
    not recommended but, you can just grind down the high spots to be able to ride in the mean time while you wait for your new liner, because eventually it will swell back up and damage your new impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jet pump assembly question
    By cubsfan2516 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Pump Wedge Question
    By GRNGOBLIN in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
  3. pump support question
    By Tiplickhahaha in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
  4. (Damaged) Pump Support Question
    By Snoman in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 06:37 AM
  5. Pump install question.
    By Mark S in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •