Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intermittent spark on a 1999 Seadoo Xp

If i wind the engine over with the plugs out and earthed there is 1 bright spark every now and then, its just not constant.
    The engine is a 947cc in a 1999 Seadoo hull. The engine was bought second hand off the internet and put into this hull. The loom and MPEM i bought were to suit the year of the hull which i would expect to work with this engine.

I have replaced the loom, the MPEM and run additional earths to the coils but no luck.

What is the next step?

Anyone?

Could it be the stator even though it is giving off one spark every now and then?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I would have trimmed the plug wires back a 1/4 inch and then if that didnt work I would have replaced the coil.

I have replaced the spark plug lead on both the coils. And it has 2 seperate coils that are doing the same thing (intermittent spark) so i sort of looked past them. If it was just one coil i would look at the coil, but its both coils that are doing it, which makes me think that the spark is not being generated somewhere...?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Im wondering if this has the wrong mag cup on it. what color is this motor? white or silver? there are two 951's out there and the ignition systems were different

This is a silver 947cc engine in a 1999 Hull.

+1
    Check in the black box next to the coils that the coils are being grounded properly as this will cause intermittent spark. The mounting brackets on the coils are grounded so if they are loose at all they will stop spark.

Additional earth wires have been run from both coils to the block to rule out this problem. But no luck there.

Thumbs down

Ok so i have now replaced the stator also, with no luck.

So to date, the MPEM, wiring loom has been replaced. This was to fix an issue with the ski where it wouldnt wind over constantly, which it fixed.

Now with intermittent spark i have replaced the main power leads and earth lead from the battery, the stator, i have replaced the spark plug lead on both coils, i have fitted additional earth leads to both coils and to the earth plate in the electrical box, all with no result.

Could there be anything that i am missing?

Like i said originally, this is not the original engine, this engine was purchused off the internet second hand, but to my knowledge is the correct engine for this model.

Verify that you have a 99 or newer silver engine and not a 98. There are 2 triggering protrusions on the mag cup in a 98 for a single coil and the 99+s have 4 protrusions for the dual coil setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information