Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should have wore my helmet........

Went to Ponce Inlet Sunday morning. Forecast said 4' seas. We got there and they were bigger than 4'.

Long story short:

I was apporaching this wave head on when it was hardly a couple of feet high, then as I apporached the wave grew very quickly and started to crest, so I veered off to the right of the crest and launched at an angle off to the side (I've done this before no problems). Well the top where I hit was a little choppy and not a sharp ramp-type of lip. So I got launched at and angle then the ski started to list to right, I'd say I was approximately 8-10' up there. I thought about bailing out, but stuck it out instead.

Upon landing, my right elbow gave out and I smashed my face into the pad on my UMI bars. I thought for sure my teeth were lnocked out, but to my surprise they weren't. I felt for my teeth and they were all there, but what happened was my gums were basically pushed up and peeled off (pretty nasty). I was bleeding all over the place. My thumb got cut on the screws for my drop nozzle and my right elbow is red, swollen and tender.

F-d up thing is I normally ALWAYS wear my helmet when wave jumping, I even packed it in my car, but for some reason I decided not to wear it. Figures!

Dentist says the gums will grow back and I may have killed two teeth (time will tell). My thumb is healing just fine and my elbow has some muscle damage (couldnd't even press 30lbs at the gym).

Definately sucks! I'll have my wife take a pic of my gums if you really want to see.

ALWAYS wear your lid when jumping!!!!!!!

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Glad you didn't loose any teeth and are recovering. Hope them teeth don't die.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...35&postcount=8
    This is why I said these types of helmets are almost usless for our purposes when the op asked for helmet recomendations. And a face sheild is not a full face helmet imo.

allcool

Quote Originally Posted by allcool View Post
    Glad you didn't loose any teeth and are recovering. Hope them teeth don't die.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...35&postcount=8
    This is why I said these types of helmets are almost usless for our purposes when the op asked for helmet recomendations. And a face sheild is not a full face helmet imo.

allcool
    It's things like this that make me question helmet and what type or no helmet. I can choose no helmet and take my chances of getting KO'd or something, go atv helmet and take chance of shoveling water and hurting my neck (what are chances of this?) or open face like Richard suggests and have this same story or possibly get the pull down visor broke and smashed into face (again what are chances?).

For now I choose not to wear one. I'll take my chances.

it's a tough call, but for me I will wear my lid next time I plan on playing in the surf. If I was knocked out, it would have been a bigger problem, I got lucky this time out (not KO'd and still have my teeth).

Being that I never fell in the water, the bucketing effect wasn't an issue with this mishap.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the accident. We hope you heal soon and get back on the water. Maybe I'll just wear my hockey helmet/mask to jump the waves. I've head-butted the pad before and that gave me a good scare.

Glad to hear nothing too severe happened.

sean

+1
    When jumping waves the chances of having a full face helmet "bucket" isn't that great because of insufficient speed. These helmets work fine for skiing in the surf. But do a bail out on a ski going over 70mph with a loose (at the neck) fitting helmet with face protection and chances are probably better than 50-50 that you will SNAP your neck due to helmet bucketing. At high speeds I'd rather chance NOT WEARING a helmet than wearing one designed for motocross. The Gath helmets won't protect your face, but they will help save your head if it impacts anything, and chances for bucketing are practically zero.

Richard

I think the chances of snapping your neck at speeds above 70mph would go way up with or with out a helmet depending on how you hit the water.

+1
    Simple - wear a neck collar along with the helmet and you're set to go.

+1
    A neck collar or brace helps in auto racing. With water sports the helmet makes your head almost twice it's normal size, just hitting the water with such a "big head" can cause serious injury. I doubt if the collar would do much to prevent it.

Richard

+1
    All raceboat driver`s wear a faceless helmet. But for wave jumping,,motorcross is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information