+1

Light mods on a 05 sportster SCIC 215

Planning on sending the charger off probably tomorrow to get the washers changed, it's good (15 hrs, still pulls like a train). After I get it back I plan on doing the 4 in y mod so I can tap into the stock intake, I think keeping the recitfier cool is a good idea... especially at a g a pop! Just got the boat, drove it when it was fairly new...

Trying to decide future minimum mods...

Open cooling...(fizzle kit) vs a/f intercooler

Air intake

Prop rework if needed...

Maybe exhaust if I can swing it...

What should my gains be?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Planning on sending the charger off probably tomorrow to get the washers changed, it's good (15 hrs, still pulls like a train). After I get it back I plan on doing the 4 in y mod so I can tap into the stock intake, I think keeping the recitfier cool is a good idea... especially at a g a pop! Just got the boat, drove it when it was fairly new...

Trying to decide future minimum mods...

Open cooling...(fizzle kit) vs a/f intercooler

Air intake

Prop rework if needed...

Maybe exhaust if I can swing it...

What should my gains be?
    I believe the rectifier is around $150, not $1000, but still, you want to keep it cool and happy, and don't want to have to replace it.

There's a difference between "open cooling" and an intercooler. Open cooling routes the water you're riding in through the engine as the radiator coolant, instead of our closed system where it is cooled as it is channeled through the ride plate. You do not want that mod, and I'm sure that's not what you're talking about. An intercooler is a completely different system, and uses the lake water to cool the air out of the supercharger, before going through the throttle body and intake manifold. Your boat has an internal intercooler, and I suppose you're considering switching to an external. Personally I think the stock intercooler does a fine job, IF you're going to keep the stock supercharger. The stock SC and external IC isn't going to net you much more than one MPH. But, you start pushing more air, and an external IC becomes almost a necessity. I gained a bit more than two MPH with a drop-in SC wheel (8# boost vs stock 6.5#) and an external IC.

A 4” air intake into the supercharger certainly is the best bang-for-your-buck, and the first performance mod that should be done. Totally wakes up your engine.

Don’t expect any performance gains out of exhaust work on a stock engine. I’m almost pushing twice the boost of the stock engine, and have a complete custom dual thru-hull exhaust, and really, it just sounds better with better throttle response, especially with the shorty waterbox. The main reason I needed to change my exhaust at all, is because I needed the room. I’ve got a huge intercooler where the stock exhaust/resonator used to be.
    I believe the cheapest and most reliable performance setup is a stage 3 type SC, an external IC, and 42# fuel injectors. It’s a proven setup, that will net you a good 3mph (even more on a lighter ski). Any more mods above that, and you have to start dealing with a RRFPR and checking your AFR. A lot of people are running an “X” SC, XS IC, 42# injectors, and a RRFPR with success. That’s a strong configuration.

To answer your question… a properly done 4” intake and external intercooler should get you 2.5mph on top, and great acceleration. Probably need to add some pitch to your prop, or could run a clean 14/19. That gets to the point of almost needing 42# injectors, though.

I’m going through a round of mods myself right now. I’m tapping a new header for a permanent LC-1 AFR installation. I’ve got 48# injectors ,and a new BEGi RRFPR going in, plus a manifold torque plate. I’ll have my current 42# injectors and RRFPR for sale in a couple of weeks.

+1
    Cool VX1, thanks for the advice. I think I'll set up a 4" intake like you suggested and leave it be... (after I pull the charger and send it to Jerry).

Thread Information