Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Dedicated thread to Seadoo boat self inflected injury...

First off, I need to buy the hydroturf mat kit for my Sportster 150.... my knees are trashed.

Second, someone should warn about the danger of "slowly" going from forward to reverse, I'm used to driving inboards and I've freaking made a huge knot on my right hand, I'll let the pics tell the rest. Last week it was brusied at my knuckles, I was like wtf did I do... this week I figured it out, after the weekend and it had swollen a bit more.

You can't go forward to reverse quickly without slamming your hand against the throttle.

Any medical advice? If I went to the doc would they tell me to deal? It's tender and rock hard.

Tard of the year award!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	242297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	242295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	242296

I don’t believe you’ll find high quality medical advice here, but I’ll take a stab at it. I’d say you’ve got about a 50% chance it’s just hematoma, internal bruising, and the swelling will be down in a matter of days. On the other hand, no pun intended, you’ve got just as good of chance that you’ve fractured a bone in there. I’m not one to go to the doctor/hospital for anything, but an X-ray is a sure-fire way to know for sure.

Most of my injuries (and hours on the boat, for that matter) have occurred while modifying the boat. Nothing serious, but a lot of bloody knuckles, burns, cuts, etc.

A couple of years ago, I was showing off for some kids on shore, jumping my own wake, and launched in the air with a slight yaw rotation. By the time I landed, the boat was doing 60mph one way, but facing another direction at full throttle. That ripped me from my seat and my head went crashing into the other side of the boat, legs up in the air. I had the lanyard connected to me, but didn’t get thrown far enough to cut the engine, so it was several seconds before I could overcome the force of acceleration to reach the controls again. I did a couple more hard turns, just to make it look like I meant to do it all, then sped off into the sunset to see if I was bleeding (which I wasn’t… hard head/soft fiberglass).

One thing I do a lot is run a box pattern, where I’m full speed, then immediately cut the wheel for a 90 degree right turn, give it a couple seconds to get to full speed again, and another right turn, and on until I’m back where I started. A few weeks ago I changed out the nozzle to an 87mm, which gave me more top speed, and also seems to cut corners tighter. I ran the same box pattern, and my neck felt like I’d been in a car wreck for the next week. I don’t know how good that is for ya... I may have to rethink that maneuver, after I gain some speed with this next round of mods.

+1
    I threw myself off my R-12x off some nice rollers from a fully packed boat at around 50... My buddy on the shore said me and the ski went completely verticle about 4 foot off the water... I cartwheeled off once the ski hit the water... Add in some other dumb things... rocking two shoulder surgeries on the same shoulder...

The brusing has gone away, but it still is about half the size of a ping pong ball...very tender...but I've got movement and it doesn't hurt to move it. Just touching it. My grip is good and I can type so I don't think I broke anything...

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    I still don't Understand what you did to make your Hand Look like that.

Were you just Shifting the Levers between Forward & Reverse?

If so, and your Hand Looks like that, I think you might have an Issue with your Shifter Cables not being Lubed enough. Both my Shifters Move with VERY Little Effort at all.

+1
    Good point Durramax, I CRC=656'd everything in the motor, but didn't think to hit the levers or cables...

But yeah, that's two weekends worth of holding the shifter sliding from forward to reverse, lube always helps... I think it's a hematoma, they hired a new guy @ work with a firm handshake, I was like thanks buddy... I know it couldn't have felt normal to him as his fingers were right on the hump. Its bad that you can see it in pictures... I think it might be going down a bit, going to let her rest this weekend, actually I'm going to pull the charger while I'm "down" and do the 4 in air mod, do I need to buy an adapter to fit the charger, or what did you use VX1?

+1
    So where do you guys attach your lanyard? I can't seem to find a good place out of the steering wheels way?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    So where do you guys attach your lanyard? I can't seem to find a good place out of the steering wheels way?
    I always clip it to my shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust
    do I need to buy an adapter to fit the charger, or what did you use VX1?
    The adapter in the store is great, but what I use... the Spectre stainless steel filter comes with some 3", 3.5", 4" ring adapters; I've glued those together and use that successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed
    I think you might have an Issue with your Shifter Cables not being Lubed enough.
    It wouldn't be lubing the cables. Inside the shifter housing, each lever has a resistance screw with a plastic cap, pressing against it; that's how you adjust how much force it takes to move the controls. Personally, I've removed all the lockout safety mechanisms inside my controls (where you have to start in neutral, and can't move the throttle high in reverse, for example) but it's not something I would recommend. It can be dangerous if you forget what you're doing, and makes it really dangerous to let someone else drive. I have to have those resistance screws really tight, because without those safety lockouts, certain maneuvers and forces could cause the control levers to move themselves. Allows me to do some crazy stuff, though.

+1
    Yeah, it's looking better finally...

Thanks for all the info! You guys have some great Tips.

Once again, hats off to Jerry and the mods for keeping up such a great site.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, I Tried getting into the Shifter "Innards" but once I got the Top Plate Off, all the Screws In the Shifter "Block" are Stripped. So I'd have to Drill them Out.

Must have came from the Factory like that with them Stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    Yep, I Tried getting into the Shifter "Innards" but once I got the Top Plate Off, all the Screws In the Shifter "Block" are Stripped. So I'd have to Drill them Out.

Must have came from the Factory like that with them Stripped.
    Just FYI for everyone, I was in the shifter innards today while installing a AFR gauge, and noticed that the screw to adjust the lever resistance is conveniently located right under the first top cover; each side has a plastic bolt you adjust with a flathead.

Hopefully going to have some speed increases soon; lots of new mods going in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information