Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Open Loop Pro's Cons'

Debating an open loop system after riding with another member this weekend and seeing the temp differences. What are the pro's and con's that you have experienced with going open loop? Thanks in advance...

+1
    Buehler? Anyone? Buehler?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Debating an open loop system after riding with another member this weekend and seeing the temp differences. What are the pro's and con's that you have experienced with going open loop? Thanks in advance...

if you search this, you will find tons of info.

However, I was thinking about going open loop in my conversion ski, in fact, i bought everything that I would have needed. After doing a ton of research, I decided to keep it simple and stick with the closed loop.

It wasn't worth the trouble to do the switch.

You need to carefully watch temps AND pressure throughout the system, which very few people actually do.

As Steach told me: one of the few things that sea doo got right the first time on the 4tec engine is the cooling system, why mess with it for debatable gains?

If you want lower temps, I would change to a lower temp thermo, like the rotax racing or whatever it is these days.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    if you search this, you will find tons of info.

However, I was thinking about going open loop in my conversion ski, in fact, i bought everything that I would have needed. After doing a ton of research, I decided to keep it simple and stick with the closed loop.

It wasn't worth the trouble to do the switch.

You need to carefully watch temps AND pressure throughout the system, which very few people actually do.

As Steach told me: one of the few things that sea doo got right the first time on the 4tec engine is the cooling system, why mess with it for debatable gains?

If you want lower temps, I would change to a lower temp thermo, like the rotax racing or whatever it is these days.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.
    It was my ski that Thomas is refering to. I think that when using the stock ecu you can be ok. Its when you run an after market ecu or a reflash, reving real high is where the open loop really helps. We tried a Riva t-stat in my ski and after WOT runs it would overheat. I went open loop ( with a 160 thermo ) and my ski warms up quick, and stays around 165 all the time. After a wot run if I stay off of the trottle it will creep up a little to around 175, but as soon as I start to move it goes right back to 160ish. My temp gauge records max temp and the most I have seen is 182 and that was after a long ride and the engine was shut down. Now I have not run it yet in the winter, so I may have to do something to restrict flow so it will warm up, but I think Rich will figure it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    It was my ski that Thomas is refering to. I think that when using the stock ecu you can be ok. Its when you run an after market ecu or a reflash, reving real high is where the open loop really helps. We tried a Riva t-stat in my ski and after WOT runs it would overheat. I went open loop ( with a 160 thermo ) and my ski warms up quick, and stays around 165 all the time. After a wot run if I stay off of the trottle it will creep up a little to around 175, but as soon as I start to move it goes right back to 160ish. My temp gauge records max temp and the most I have seen is 182 and that was after a long ride and the engine was shut down. Now I have not run it yet in the winter, so I may have to do something to restrict flow so it will warm up, but I think Rich will figure it out.
    I agree, stock ECU, stockish boost, no need for open loop.

Beyond that is out of my range of experience.

Also, it depends a lot on where you ride too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    I agree, stock ECU, stockish boost, no need for open loop.

Also, it depends a lot on where you ride too.
    +1 When I was high 70's with stock ecu and rev's I had no cooling problems.
    Water and air temp was high 90's all weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    +1 When I was high 70's with stock ecu and rev's I had no cooling problems.
    Water and air temp was high 90's all weekend.
    X charger setup here. A 2 rude came on the market today. Even trade for an x charger. Too much charger for him I guess. Brand new with 4 hrs. I did the install and checked the slip when he got it from Nils. I should have mentioned it.

I know the search is my friend. Wanted new opinions. The ones I found were a year plus old.

Thanks guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    I know the search is my friend. Wanted new opinions. The ones I found were a year plus old.

Thanks guys.
    No problem.

To be honest, this is one of those debates that will go on forever. Some people swear by it, some hate it. It's kinda like the bov on a 4tec debate....

+1
    I loved my open loop on all my ski's. It is very simple. People get to worried about pressures and all that stuff. My conversion was so simple to set up and pressures were actually low with the seadoo pump. YAMAHAS PUMP IS JUNK IN BIG POWER!. anyway it cleans up the engine bay and makes it look awesome. I ride fresh water also, so that is a big deal IMO as your block will take the brute of the salt with open loop. I will say my RIva stat opened at 188 degree's and was well over 200 at wide open throttle, so you may need to adjust this on your set up. I pulled apart a RR 131 stat and replaced it in my Riva open loop stat. This brought my temps down in the 150 range. To each his own, but when you go big power you need to go lower temps and I believe open loop helps you do this. Yes, you will notice more gas in oil issue as unless you un do the oil cooler your not gonna allow your motor to get hot enough to burn ALL the contaminents out of the oil. I just used amsoil and changed it every 15 hours or so. Good quality oil is a must.

+1
    I ride mostly fresh water unless I ride in TX or in the Gulf.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information