Thread: CDI Question

CDI Question

Hi guys I'am new to this Forum but have been reading it for some time and have learned a great deal, so please correct me if i do somthing wrong. My question is we have a 1994 polaris sl 650 that we have been working on. We did replace the CDI box which corrected our no spark problem. We went to the lake and it ran great the first day. Then the second day we put it in the water and forgot the plug so water got into th hull but we pulled it out right away as it was still on the trailer but a lot of water was in the hull which drained out but i'am sure it got past the battery, now we have no spark again. Would this be enough to short out the CDI box?

On my last post I forgot to mention that no water got into the Electrical box where the CDI module is.
    Thanks

+1
    Check the ground connection on the engine bed plate. Maybe there's enough corrosion there to cause a problem.

Is the flywheel housing sealed well? It's possible some of that water got in the housing and shorted out your stator.

KJ

Thanks for the reply. The ground connection is good as we have relocated that. We will check the fly wheel housing tonight, I am hoping that it did not leak as we have just replaced the stator, and we did use a sealer on the cover, I will also take some ohm readings on the stator as specified in the manual. I will post what we find, I appreciate the help.
    DW

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps the battery was flooded with water, or the battery has become weak.

Luckly the battery was a sealed one but we did have to charge it, what we found was a pinched wire in the box. When we repaired that we got spark so good to go there. When we got the spark back we still can not get it to start.

We have rebuilt the carbs with oem kits but still only get fuel to the center carb we have made sure that the needle and seats are not sticking and cleaned both jets in each carb but there seems to be a restriction.

We have installed the new three outlet pump also. When we pull the cover off the diaphragm
    side of the carbs there is fuel present. Is there another orifice that we are missing that could be plugged?
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Just wanted to let you all know that we finally got the Polaris to run. As I had mention in the last post that we rebuilt the carb,s we forgot to do a pop off test which was our problem. When we first checked them the pop off pressure was like 26 psi. The manual calls for 10-18. We got all three set to 16 and put every thing back together and it started and ran perfect, we spent three days at the lake ( at a 109 degrees) and had no problems it ran great. Thanks for the responses.
    DW

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

Thanks for the follow up.

Thread Information