Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

top speed problem?

Hey guys,

I went to the lake this weekend in the middle of the day and it was around 100-102 degrees and the water temp was 82....not the best of conditions. With my mods listed, does a top speed of right at 70 sound way too low? I drove around for 20-30 minutes and then remembered to use the GPS and at that point 70 was it. I know that I need an intercooler, but I expected to be able to still do 72 or so. It pulls strong still, but my top speed doesn't seem to be there. I don't have the free flow exhaust and I only got the C1 wheel to play it safe since I don't have AFR gauge. Also, my RPMS at WOT were on 7500, so I know I need to do some repitching.

Also, when I had the modded VX plate on 2 weeks prior, my WOT rpms were around 7800. Now after putting the stock plate on and having a 100 degree day vs. a 90 degree day, my rpms are down 300??? Any ideas on that as well?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Are your plugs rusty ? I had similar RPM issues and it turned out my stock intercooler was leaking salt water into my air intake at higher rpm's (higher pump pressure)! I do not trust stock intercoolers after that episode.

Did you ever get an AFR gauge?
    I know, preaching...

Thanks for suggestion with intercooler. I may go ahead and get a new one to rule that out. No, don't have AFR gauge. Does consistent high 69s and a max of 70 seem way too low for 100 plus temps and 82 degree water temp?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    Thanks for suggestion with intercooler. I may go ahead and get a new one to rule that out. No, don't have AFR gauge. Does consistent high 69s and a max of 70 seem way too low for 100 plus temps and 82 degree water temp?
    I dont think so, this weekend i managed top speed 69.8 on my first run and as the day progressed of 67.8 was all i could get out of her..it was super hot and water temps were like bath water..I usually hit on my lake consistent 70-71 weather permitting. Changing out the IC will help out alot!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    It pulls strong still, but my top speed doesn't seem to be there.
    Chuck why did you take the VX plate off...
    your top speed went with that plate.

Yo,

I had bad luck with the plate. I first tried no shims...not good. then I tried one shim each side in back, but still bouncing. After trying 2 shims, it still bounced. I gave up. On perfectly flat water, it STILL had a noticeable bounce. I didn't care to be on the ski at 73 mph while bouncing. Maybe I should have played with it more, but I got frustrated and gave up.

+1
    Chuck--I believe you're still running a stock IC. If so, I have one I will ship to you to try (my stocker is tapped for the additional cooling supply in the R&D kit). However, I don't think that's you prob.

Sounds like your water is too warm and your engine might be the same.

I kinda feel bad you sold your plate.

+1
    The heat does not help your rpms at all. From my GreenHUlk forum knowledge I believe your RPMS needs to be alot higher like 8400 if not more. Repitching is my thought.

I agree about repitching...just busy lately to try the 14/21 Solas I got from impros and not sure what to repitch it to. This heat here in Texas sucks. 103 officially yesterday.

Craig5001, I probably could have and should have screwed with the plate more, but I got tired of trying. What intercooler do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information