Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got my intake, Riva FF, and Ribbon done.......VXR

OMG I feel like I got a new ski. I had my local jet ski performance shop (Jet Trendz) install my R&D intake, Riva intake manifold, and Riva FF on the VXR. The main difference is the acceleration and the sounds of the Riva FF. I know some of you don't like the DRONE but it's not that bad and I love the way it sounds. I just got back from Marathon Key and had a full week of riding in flat conditions and 3-5 foot seas with 15 MPH winds out of the EAST....I gathered about 14 Gigs of videos from my HD GO PRO which I'm in the process of editing. As far as top end goes I fell like its a tad bit faster. See my screen shot.... (now i know it's not really 75MPH but my VXR never hit that before and that was with 3/4's of a tank still) Still need to test it with a GPS but DAMN it fells good to see that on the Speedo. I'm up to about 50 Hours now on her and it time for another oil change and plugs.

Nice! those Plugs can go 100 hours, why are you changing now? Did you dab a little grease into that zirk fitting yet?

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Nice! those Plugs can go 100 hours, why are you changing now? Did you dab a little grease into that zirk fitting yet?
    I just thought the plugs were supposed to be changed out at 50 hours..... where is the Zirk fitting located ? I prob need to do that.... My owners manual bit the dust....so if anyone could take a pic of the Maintenance part of the manual, or post a link it would be a huge help otherwise I just order a new one.

Just looked at my manual (got a VXS) and it says 100 hours on the Plugs. As far as the Zirk fitting. The manual says at 10 hours you should put some pumps of grease into it. On mine it took 10 pumps (small grease gun). Pump slow and as soon as it starts to feel like some resistance then its time to stop. You are not greasing the bearings, the grease just takes up the "air space". There is some grease in there already from the factory so honestly if you do nothing its probably ok too . . . you have gone 50 hours already and no issues. Don't over grease it! In your 2nd pic from the top you can see the zirk. It's right next to your flushing aparatus. There is a little rubber nub on top of the zirk. Pull that little nub off and there will be the zirk fitting. JB

Isn't that little fella a good boat? the VXR does look good in YAM Blue! If you are in 3 to 5 foot seas on that thing and moving along at a good clip that's really good!

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Just looked at my manual (got a VXS) and it says 100 hours on the Plugs. As far as the Zirk fitting. The manual says at 10 hours you should put some pumps of grease into it. On mine it took 10 pumps (small grease gun). Pump slow and as soon as it starts to feel like some resistance then its time to stop. You are not greasing the bearings, the grease just takes up the "air space". There is some grease in there already from the factory so honestly if you do nothing its probably ok too . . . you have gone 50 hours already and no issues. Don't over grease it! In your 2nd pic from the top you can see the zirk. It's right next to your flushing aparatus. There is a little rubber nub on top of the zirk. Pull that little nub off and there will be the zirk fitting. JB

Isn't that little fella a good boat? the VXR does look good in YAM Blue! If you are in 3 to 5 foot seas on that thing and moving along at a good clip that's really good!
    ahhh ok i see the fitting now...cool. Man I love my VXR I could talk about it for hours and hours. it's Fast, very comfortable in the corners, and sips 87 octane. I was mainly out in the 3-5 jumping big swells and trying to push the limits. I would just cruise along the swell then turn into it, blip the gas, and land. The VXR help up PERFECT. It is a little tough on the body when trying to go past 30mph with a heavy chop, but I just stand up and cruise around 20-25 Mph through the big waves and I'm good. I've never ridden a FZR so i can't compare it to that hull, but your fine as long as you ride within your limits and don't get stupid on it!

+1
    You can download the owners manual on my yamaha.

Did it accelerate faster subjectively, ie " by the seat of the pants", or did you actually test the acceleration against a known comparison.

I ask because I have not done these mods, and the only other vxs/vxr I have seen has the ribbon delete but no exhaust and he is about 2 mph slower than mine stock. Both machines have similar hours.

He said it felt faster after the mods, but a week later when we compared them, ht e stock set-up was faster. We went in and got the gps and confirmed 66.8 mph as a 3 run average. He claimed two weeks ago it was running 69.1mph under similar conditions.

Needless to say, I am hesitant to make any changes.

Is it possible that the ECU is a learning unit which just compensates for the extra perceived air flow by retarding the engines output, ie that it compensates for the extra air flow by, and thus negates the mods

I am trying to justify making changes if the "improvements" are short lived, and that I may actually lose performance in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by dukenyc View Post
    Did it accelerate faster subjectively, ie " by the seat of the pants", or did you actually test the acceleration against a known comparison.

I ask because I have not done these mods, and the only other vxs/vxr I have seen has the ribbon delete but no exhaust and he is about 2 mph slower than mine stock. Both machines have similar hours.

He said it felt faster after the mods, but a week later when we compared them, ht e stock set-up was faster. We went in and got the gps and confirmed 66.8 mph as a 3 run average. He claimed two weeks ago it was running 69.1mph under similar conditions.

Needless to say, I am hesitant to make any changes.

Is it possible that the ECU is a learning unit which just compensates for the extra perceived air flow by retarding the engines output, ie that it compensates for the extra air flow by, and thus negates the mods

I am trying to justify making changes if the "improvements" are short lived, and that I may actually lose performance in the long run.

well....I have ridden all 50 hours on my ski. No i haven't officially measured the acceleration with any "tools" however i can assure you I have to hold on a little tighter when I'm at 30 Mph and pin it to max speed. It also looks like you are comparing an VXR with ONLY the Ribbon delete as mine has the R&D intake filter, the Riva manifold ( Ribbon Delete), and the Riva FF.

I could see where if your buddy only has the ribbon delete and doesn't have an intake filter and no exhaust and actually be slower. He could force more air in but if it can't exit the ski any faster, that won't help too much. My 3 mods were worth EVERY PENNY I promise you.

Also when i use pin the throttle my speedo would bounce from 68 -70MPH in smooth water, now it's bouncing 3-4 mph more..... Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Cool. Good to hear.

Does anyone know how the ECU adjusts spark and fuel flow, via MAF, MAP?

Does it have a learning function?

+1
    JoeMomma, what software do you use to edit your footage? Windows Movie Maker will not see an inch of my time ever again.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information