+1

tapping the mani for afr ?

need some suggestions, i tapped the exhaust mani for an afr but about 3/4 of the way down i hit the water jacket. the hole is about .5mm across very small hole. my question is can i jb weld this hole ? how hot does this part of the mani get ? how much water pressure is in the mani ? i have a 18mm plug would this contain any leaks should the jb weld fail or should i have someone weld the hole shut its towards the bottom of the hole. i should have stopped with the 21/32 bit i had plenty of thread room already but i tried to go all the way down and bingo hit the jacket.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Jb weld will work add it on the water nipple side clean real well and do 2 layers. I did the same thing and its holding up so far. Worst that can happen is you will kill an o2 sensor. I was also able to still use that water nipple. I chased the threads after wards and re installed my fitting. Apparently its too hard to weld.dont ask me how I know.

I hit the waterjacket in my '07 mani a couple weeks ago. As mentioned before, if you attempt this in a pre-'08, don't aim for the middle... from the middle point, move a couple of mm away from the water nipple. I just thought the wall around it was going to be too thin to hold if I did that, but if you start in the middle for a 18mm, you are definitely going to hit the waterjacket. Anyway, I took it to a good welder, and he said it was too hard to reliably weld, especially since it still had to be threaded too. My bell was not in the best shape anyway. I ended up buying a new '08 manifold on Ebay for a good price. I'm going to use a Dremel today to shave it down thin enough for the sensor to be in the flow and tap it.

+1
    Best advice I can give, You will want a new one. I did this exact same thing and tried to patch it....... even with the slightest little leak it will throw off the AFR sensor making it look like it's leaning out or just burn it out. There is quite a bit of water pressure in there and it would spring a leak everytime. So i'm just letting you know before you go reinstalling that beast and then having to reuninstall it, I'd look for another one. Good luck man.

+1
    yeah i jb welded it, looks like it would hold but i try an find a 08 while the engine is still out. theres only about 3/4 or 1/2 inch of threads that need to be 18mm the rest could be 1/2 diameter hole all the way down.

+1
    oh shit i am about to tap mine i have a seadoo rxt IS i don't want it to water jacket any input guys?

Quote Originally Posted by starter99 View Post
    oh shit i am about to tap mine i have a seadoo rxt IS i don't want it to water jacket any input guys?
    Plenty of room on the '08's and up. Just the same advice, start a couple mm from center, away from the water nipple side, and might be made more accurate by shaving it down a quater inch, so the sensor is in the stream. When tapping, start with a small drill bit and work your way up to a 21/32. The largest I have is a 5/8, and that will work too. When threading, work it in a full turn more each time, taking the tap out between each and blowing out the debris.

Thread Information