Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alternative to using 15w50 oil in Weber turbo MSX150, MSX110 engines?

Has anybody used anything else besides 15w50 for oil in their turbo 4 strokes?

It doesn't seem like a very common oil to find.
    I can get 20w50 that is quite a bit thicker than the 15w50
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.

15W-50 is a special oil with different qualities. NAPA stores carry it.

I am not an oil expert, I would guess that due to manufacturing variations there is not much difference between 15w-50 and 20w-50. 15w-50 would be the preferred choice and I have had success finding Mobil 1 15w-50 at Walmart, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto in the US.

The factory ECU calibration is very rich across the rpm curve. So you want to use a good quality synthetic that will stand up to the oil contamination caused by this rich condition better than a conventional oil. Desperado's reflash will give a nice boost in performance and addresses the rich condition. I would also suggest changing the oil much more frequently that the owner's manual suggests. If you are out cruising around at part throttle casting a fishing line then you would probably be fine with a change every 25-30 hours. But if you are running around at WOT a lot, with a factory calibrated ECU, every 15 hours may be better.

As fuel builds up in the oil, you will be able to smell it in the oil tank, it will dilute the oil and reduce its lubrication properties. Left unchecked, it will lead to greatly reduced service life of the engine.

+1
    Ensure you use an oil formulation that still contains zinc. Most current automotive oils on the market do not contain zinc anymore (thanks to the EPA....). Zinc is a crucial additive to help protect against metal to metal contact and scuffing.

The Weber valvetrain is sensitive to sub-standard oils with no zinc because of the valve springs tension and cam to roller rocker design.

There are still great commercial oils available that still contain zinc.... Good old Shell Rotella formulations for diesel engines is a good examlpe.... hint: do you know of other engines working as hard as an industrial turbo diesel...
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Desperado,
    I have a gallon of Rotella on my workbench that I want to test in a motor I am assembling.. You agree that its worthwile? Rotella & Mobil 1 are readily available. Lucas & Joe Gibbs also show some good numbers, but I dont have any experience with them.

The Mobil 1 15W-50 has more Zinc than any of the other Mobil 1 oils, and I assume thats why Weber reccommends it. I'm not sure I beleive in any "Zinc" additives, as you dont know how compatabile they are with your oil, what's your opinion?

Best regards,
    Randy

thanks i'm gonna try some Z-rod 20w50 from amsoil and see what happens when i get the machine back together

+1
    Randy,

I have always had good luck with Rotella on the snow version of the Weber engine..... logging over 350 hours of run time on engines. Lately, I have been using cam break-in addititives in all my Weber rebuilds (product from Competition Cams)... and the rollers on the Weber rocker arms look like new after many hours, contrary to what we are used to see upon disassembly of Weber engines with over 100 hours of run time on standard oil with no additives... they are too often scored and pitted.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    ... contrary to what we are used to see upon disassembly of Weber engines with over 100 hours of run time on standard oil with no additives... they are too often scored and pitted.
    What oil(s) are the standard?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What oil(s) are the standard?
    Polaris or automotive.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    Polaris or automotive.
    The genuine Polaris oil (I forgot the proper name for it...) for the Weber engine has less zinc than the Mobile One 15-50 oil?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information