How many hours can a ski get it on it before it's time to freshen it up?

My '03 GPR has somewhere b/t 150-200 hours on the clock. It may just be in my head, but at idle, it seems to smoke much more now than it did. Everything seems to be running fine w/ it... Engine still runs like it always has, nothing major has changed... It just seems to be smoking a lot more when idling. Instead of coming up from the back of the ski, it looks like it's coming up from underneath.

How long can these run before reliability becomes a concern & some serious maintenance needs to be done? The spark plugs get changed every year, battery is on a trickler when winterizing it, but other than that, I haven't done much to it. I'm the 2nd owner and the original owner took great care of it.

When freshening one up to last a lot longer, what needs to be done?

I apologize for my ignorance on this, but do appreciate any info.

Ski in question:

+1
    Nice looking ski.

Sounds like the variable oil injection pump might be stuck all the open. Most switch to premix so its always at 40-1 and the smoke will be much less if any at idle. Synthetic oils like Amsoil don't cloud up as much either.

Properly maintained and close to stock should last 300+ hours before rebuild IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Nice looking ski.

Sounds like the variable oil injection pump might be stuck all the open. Most switch to premix so its always at 40-1 and the smoke will be much less if any at idle. Synthetic oils like Amsoil don't cloud up as much either.

Properly maintained and close to stock should last 300+ hours before rebuild IMO.
    Aside from excessive smoke and more than likely an increase in oil usage, is this hurting anything?

Also, what's required for a rebuild and what's a BIG ballpark price one could expect to rebuild an engine for? I understand results could vary greatly, but I have no guesses on anything price related to the engine, so any broad estimates "from $$$ to $$$" would be appreciated.

Well there are a lot of different options. It you do the top end and seals, you're prob around $500. Crank and top end prob around $1100/1200. And that's if you're doing the work yourself. Paying someone else is obviously considerably more. Or you could go the remanufactured engine route, but I like using quality parts.

+1
    thats a great looking ski. did you not use the rivets cover when you put your rub rails back on? like the piece that slides in. also, what kinda handle bars are they?

and to actually contribute to you thread, if you can get it to 200 + hours (run it till it breaks) or if it drops compression, at 200 hours you will most likely need to redo the whole thing.

yamaha oem crank seals, head gasket, base gasket, and new wrist pin bearings around 300
    new oem yamaha crank around 700 (boats.net)
    send the jugs out to millenium tech and get them re nicasiled, and have pro x pistons fit to the bores around 1000
    its a 1300r so you dont have to redo your carbs, or mess with a primer, or any of that stuff, so i would say a general estimate to redo your motor, meaning not just fix what breaks, but get it ready for another 200 hours, your looking at 2000-2500 dollars (your going to need random other things, wave eater clips (unless its a non power valve motor) pressure test kit from lowell, threebond 1211 to seal the case back together, marine grease, ect)

its not hard to do, just start setting money aside and buying parts, you have 7/8ths of your spending done if you have a crank, new jugs, new pistons, new wrist pin bearings, new gaskets, ect. then when it drops compression just work on it for 2 or 3 hours at a time over the winter.

go through builds like pale riders, mine, look at hydro toys site, start framiliarizing yourself with rebuilding them now and youll be ready to go.

Thread Information