I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1

Ultra 150 upgrading to GP1300R?...??....

So in the process of murdering my stock impeller on my Ultra yesterday, a guy I know stops by and says hes selling his GPR and asks if I'm interested. Its an 03 with only 24 hours bone stock except D-Plate and chip.

I think back to racing him last summer and ask, isn't your ski supposed to be faster than mine? He tells me he had a bad injector when he raced me he replaced it and that its running at full speed again now.. Idk if he's BSing me or if hes being honest but it sure planted the seed in my head... I nearly lost sleep over it last night hahaha. But I'll go for a nice long side by side test ride with him as soon as I get the pump back in the Ultra.

The ski is absolutely immaculate and he offered me a very fair price... I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a GPR for some time now just for the aftermarket potential and I feel they're more reliable than an Ultra 150. I've always been a Yamaha guy at heart and I like that more parts are available for the GPR platform and in general it just has more potential than the Ultra 150.

Anyones thoughts? I've still never even ridden a GPR... I may be spending alot more time in the Yamaha section real soon...

just do your research and a thorough check on that ski... compression, pump, prop, hull, the works...
    if an injector goes south on these 2 strokes it usually spells disaster if not caught in time, otherwise how would they know it was an injector. a miss or lack of fuel is not that easy to fully diagnose. I mean a mechanically inclined person or someone who knows his ski will perform tests and procedures to rule out scenarios and quickly diagnose a bad injector... or the shop fixed it due to customer complaint

theres not a whole lot of time on that ski, unless someone swapped out the cluster, if it is truly 24 hours, what made the injector clog or fail? stored incorrectly, bad gas, water in fuel? anyone`s guess...

if the ski was run for any length of time with a lean cylinder due to a clogged or bad injector it could have caused some damage to the piston for starters.
    while you are doing a compression test to check on the health of the engine, also bring with you a small flexible LED light to stick into the spark plug holes and look at the piston wash, domes and cylinder walls as best as you can...

I`ve seen or heard of to many selling/buying GPR`s then the ski not lasting long after the sale...

the old addage> buyer beware, but come prepared to check out the ski and be totally satisfied with what you find before you purchase... That is my best advice... good luck...

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks pale rider, I've read a bit about the gpr over the years but admittedly don't know much about the F.I. on them. I know for sure it is the original 24 hours on the ski as he got it brand new and only rode it a handful of times. I was also wondering how or why a fuel injector could've failed at such low hours but a friend of mine verified that he did change a fuel injector for him. Ill be sure to give it a full check over and were gonna go for a side by side test ride, if I like it I already have someone ready to buy my ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater n Premix View Post
    Thanks pale rider, I've read a bit about the gpr over the years but admittedly don't know much about the F.I. on them. I know for sure it is the original 24 hours on the ski as he got it brand new and only rode it a handful of times. I was also wondering how or why a fuel injector could've failed at such low hours but a friend of mine verified that he did change a fuel injector for him. Ill be sure to give it a full check over and were gonna go for a side by side test ride, if I like it I already have someone ready to buy my ultra.
    cool and good luck! could be any number of reasons why the injector crapped out... also check to see if the throttle cable recall was done, if not you have one of those coming from yamaha! if it works out, sounds like your starting off with a decent low hour GPR! welcome to the club

Thread Information