Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 polaris msx 110; intermittently shuts down

All,

My polaris intermittently shuts down while on the go or when idled. I'd say it happens every few minutes. It starts right back on with no problem. Sometime check engine light comes on.

Any idea what could be happening with this baby?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Thread moved to the General section for more visibility.

I don't have an answer for your problem, but others might.

Can you provide some info on the service history of this machine? Any previous problems?

Do you have full power and RPM when it is running?

+1
    ttt

+1
    Difficult one, check all your earth connections where they bolt onto the intake manifold and make sure the wiring and terminals are mechanically sound. You will need a torch, give them a tug.

Using the right size clip under the stop switch?

These are just wild stabs in the dark.

Cheers

The machine has around 140 hours and was serviced properly. I do have the original clip for the stop switch. I tried to wiggle it - it didn't affect the engine running. There is something else to add to the puzzle; the engine hasn't shot down once this weekend. Looks like it had full power it went over 50 MPH. However, the display would go blank every so often. I would push "Mode" button to get it to show again. It somewhat proves the theory of a bad ground connection I think. Somebody told me that I need to reconnect the battery to reset it. Didn't have a chance to try it.

Anybody knows where I can get hold of a wiring diagram?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by avorob View Post
    ... the display would go blank every so often. I would push "Mode" button to get it to show again. It somewhat proves the theory of a bad ground connection I think.

Somebody told me that I need to reconnect the battery to reset it. Didn't have a chance to try it.

Anybody knows where I can get hold of a wiring diagram?
    Blank display does suggest something is up. Does it properly show the engine RPM all the time when the engine is running?

The NGI display itself does not have any memory or need to be reset. It does record engine hours, but that is about it.

There are connectors near the hood hinge that feed the display, and there is also a connector on the back of the display (which is hard to get at). Make sure both are free of corrosion and water. Excess dielectric grease can sometimes cause problems, so you may want to use some contact cleaner on the pins.

My guess is that a control module may be failing, or has a wiring problem.

The story gets more complicated. Now the ski is it wouldn't shot down even when I pull the toddle switch out and/or press stop button. I had to remove the plug cables in order to shot the motor down. It wouldn't start back if the toddle switch is not engaged. Does it tell that the switch is working? Once the motor has been started removing the switch makes no effect and it continues to run.

I tried to reset the ECU - it had no effect. I left the ski sitting on the sun for a few hours. I was about to drive it to the ramp to pull the ski out of the water and the motor started shutting down with the stop button or toddle switch. Few hours later it went back to not shutting down.

+1
    This sounds like the classic faulty IFB module fault (assuming all your earth connections on the inlet manifold are mechanically and electrically sound)

I have come across intermittent gauge and no start problems because of a broken earth lug on one of the 3 earth wires.

If you can't borrow an IFB to test I would purchase one in confidence that it will fix your problems, check Polaris parts house I think they are less than $40.00

IFB is the module tied up under the ECU
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool. Sorry to sound as a complete newbie - which one is manifold? I think I should at least try to check the connections out before I order a new IFB; as I understand they call it "Interface, Power Down Control" Part # 2410507. Thx for heads up

It looks like from the diagram that IFB is located on the wall of the front compartment. Is it correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information