Question Piston ring installation question.

Hey Guys and Gals!

I am in the process of assembling my engine and I put new yamaha rings on my used Yamaha pistons. One thing that seems odd to me that I wanted to ask about was in regards to the new rings sticking to the ring lands.

It seems like when I compress the rings with my fingers to install the cyl, the rings remain in the ringlands as if they are too wide/large. I removed them and made sure the ring lands were clean etc and I sprayed them with WD-40 but it seems like I would have a compression issue if I move forward?

Is this normal or anyone else experience this?

I installed the old rings to see how they feel and they aren't as bad but they also stick to the ringlands more than what I am used to. On the 2 stroke dirt bikes engine I have assembled, I don't recall ever having this condition? Please let me know your thoughts.

TIA!

Gary (Dallas)

Problem solved after searching a little bit. I found that the 3 of the rings may have been installed upside-down. After flipping the 3 sticking rings over, all of the rings are now moving freely in the ringlands as I would expect.

Gary

you prob found what i posted/discovered last week. Glad you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mi11ertyme26 View Post
    you prob found what i posted/discovered last week. Glad you figured it out.
    I read your post but fortunately I didn't have to resort to sanding the rings etc.. After flipping three of the sticking rings, all the rings fit and rode the ringlands perfectly. I also spoke to Rich from WFO - he informed me the markings should be facing up so I took the cyl's off again to triple check and indeed all markings were facing up as they should be. I didn't notice the markings on the rings until Rich mentioned it. On the set of Yamaha rings I have, the marking is a tiny "R".

Yeah, that was somebody else that recommended the sanding. I just wish there was a sticky on how to install the rings correctly. Would have saved you and I both a lot of time. But we'll never make that mistake again!

Thread Information