Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Virage TXi repair/replace large water line coming off bottom exhaust manifold

I was having a lot of water in the Virage so I made a flush kit and ran it for the less than 2 min. What I found was some water coming out some place at the front left side under the motor> I reached down and felt the hoses and the large one that goes to the exhaust manifold has a good size hole in it and that is my leak. What is the best way to get to this thing? The 1200 is tight. I thought pulling the gas tank forward to have some space but that is a pain. Any helpful tips. I think #8 in the pic is the bad hose. Do I need to use a Polaris hose or will something else work? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-16 at 8.43.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	242440  

+1
    Well That was not so bad to get off. The gear clamp for it in front of the motor was not too bad but the one coming off the exhaust manifold looked to be a pain but turned out to be a walk in the park to get to.

The gear clamp can be gotten to from just above the exhaust manifold. I thought I was going to have to do a lot more work.

As you can see it is a good size hole. There is a sharp edge on one of the retainers that holds the hose. I will file it down.

Now what hose to get for it. Maybe go to a auto parts store and match one up for a lot less that $40 plus S/H?

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ftsidehose.jpg

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hmmm, can you get a clear photo of the clamp edge that caused the hole?

Wondering if this is something other Virage TXi may be susceptible to

+1
    I went to Auto Zone and got a heater hose Part #80413 that needs 6" cut off to fit. $10.50 sure beats $50 anyday. Here is a pic of the bolt (3 o'clock) with the retainer has worn off. I could file it down or would it be ok to take just that one bolt out and what is left of the retainer can be remover or will it mess up the seal or could it bust off.....is it worth taking it out? What the hell is that red thing to the left of the bolt at 3 o'clock is it just RTV or something else? PS I picked up a 2001 TX carb unit today with a crack in the front piston........talke about a hoarder.......more on that in a new post.

+1
    I think you can undo that one bolt from the stator cover to remove the remainder of the broken hose clip. I don't think it will affect the cover sealing to just remove and reinstall the bolt.

That orange/reddish material is sealant.

+1
    When the TXi slowed down could that have been a lack of cooling and running hot? Is the a temp reading on the MFD? The end of the hose that goes on the exhaust pipe was a 4 out of 10 to put on the end that is down by the bottom front of the motor is a 7. It helps to put a little lube on the inside of the hose so it fits on. Going to lake test it today hope it will run

+1
    No temp display, just a HOT overheat warning.

Water inside the hull can spray around and get sucked into the air intake which will reduce power.

+1
    I plan to put in to a shuttle craft I have and have a set of rails that say Polaris III on them.

I have put them on one of the Virage I have on a stand and they seem to fit but the question is do the Pre-1999 models have the same shape or are rge way diffrent width and length wise?

+1
    Be careful pushing a Shuttlecraft barge around with your Virage i. The Shuttlecraft creates a large water drag and can cause the engine to struggle under the added load. You may want to change to a different impeller to allow the engine to rev easier/higher while pushing that load around.

I do not have the model years specs handy but you should be able to measure the shuttle craft and your Virage and work out how it will fit.

Side by side, my SLTX and Virage(s) appeared to have the exact same bottom hull. The tops are obviously different. I would bet everything is close enough for the mounts to work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information