Cool 2005 Seadoo Wake - Gelcoat Restoration - Before and After Pics - REBORN!!!

So I spent 5 hours restoring the life back into my 2005 Seadoo Wake Edition ski. It was rough looking when I got it. I got a decent deal on it so I can’t complain too much. It had those god awful mailbox letters on it when I got it too. Dont know what possesses people to put that cheap crap on a machine like this. The ski looks like it either sat out in the sun or sat with water in it. I choose B. And it had 59 hours on it when I purchased it. So first thing I did was buy a cover, second thing I did was buy the wakeboard rack, third thing I did was buy my materials to make the transformation. This is the process I took. It may help some of you looking into replenishing life into your faded ski. Here are the things I bought/already had and used for this project:

3M Rubbing Compund
    3M Cleaner Wax
    1000 Grit Sandpaper
    2000 Grit Sandpaper
    Goo-Gone
    Hair-Dryer (had)
    6” Electric Buffer with Foam pads and Microfiber Cloth pads (had)
    2” Plastic Putty Knife (had)

I started out first by taking the hairdryer and heating the letters up just enough that I could peel them off easily. I had to use the putty knife to assist with this because they were baked on real good. Took about an hour and a half to get the letters off. Once that was done I used the Goo-Gone to get the sticker residue off. Once that was done I got down to the nitty gritty. I started out by wet sanding the bad spots using 1000 grit. I had to go over the really bad spots twice. You could tell it was bad when I started sanding and it was leaving white residue as opposed to a pinkish color. Once I had gotten the entire ski completed I hosed it down real good and wiped it down completely drying it. Next I went to the 2000 Grit sandpaper. I began wet sanding the entire ski. At this point it started getting that pinkish color. Once completing this I washed the entire ski down again and wiped it down. Once finishing it I could see that it looked as though I had gotten most of it off still leaving a very very mild haze.

The next step I did was started to polish it. I used the 3M rubbing compound and used the buffer and foam pad to get the spots I could with the buffer. I hand polished the foot wells the best I could. Once completely going over the entire ski I completely wiped it down again. I then put my new letters on. It was starting to look reborn at this point. Once finishing this I then began the wax process. I put the 3M Cleaner wax on by hand using a foam pad. Once this was completed I began buffing using the buffer and microfiber pad. I performed this entire waxing process twice. I wanted 2 nice coats on it. I will probably end up doing another coat tomorrow. By this time 5 hours had surpassed and I was beat. I am not a pro by any means and this was my first time doing this. Hopefully I can be of help to other’s who may be looking at tackling this task with their ski. Just be patient and ready to spend some time with the good old fashioned elbow grease. Enjoy the before and after pics. Thanks!!!! I dont feel the after pics do it much justice but anyway... (BEFORE)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0156.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	242443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0157.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	242444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0162.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	242445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART951307393125900.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	242446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART951307393209926.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	242447

(AFTER)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9325.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	242448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9327.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	242449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9324.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	242450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9335.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	242451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9333.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	242452

+1
    My GTX is in need of a similar treatment (not as bad though)

Did a partial job just before christmas but sat in the sun with no cover for a few months and was not waxed so its almost back to square one

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Along with the "jon boat" stupid block numbers, Why do people leave something they spent thousands on out in the weather elements????????? i will never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Along with the "jon boat" stupid block numbers, Why do people leave something they spent thousands on out in the weather elements????????? i will never get it.
    exactly my thought. Spend the $15-$20 and get the good numbers. Dont be a cheap skate. The day I brought this home I bought a cover on ebay. Im still looking for a cover for my Millenium edition.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    My GTX is in need of a similar treatment (not as bad though)

Did a partial job just before christmas but sat in the sun with no cover for a few months and was not waxed so its almost back to square one
    If you are gonna spend the time to refinish make sure you buy a cover first lol. You would hate to spend hours redoing the ski for it to revert back in a matter of weeks.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    +1 ma-man
    and a fabulous job!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoCoLifSavr View Post
    If you are gonna spend the time to refinish make sure you buy a cover first lol. You would hate to spend hours redoing the ski for it to revert back in a matter of weeks.
    I bought a cover as soon as i could, reason it sat without a cover as they were out of stock for over a month

Going to be living in a shed soon anyway

Thread Information