04 FXHO not running the same ...Don't know what's wrong :/

Don't know whats wrong...I have an 04 yamaha fxho cruiser with 57 hours....when i first bought the ski (april 2011 (33 hours) ) it would go 55-58mph easily.I tried to ride the ski and it goes only up to 8k-8.5k rpms and 30-35mph. I feel as if it has no power. I feel as if it has very little acceleration. It slowly goes up to 30-35 then won't go any faster. Also i feel that the exhaust is a little deeper (but that might just be because i took the flaps off). After that I changed the oil and spark plugs just in case, and then took the ski out but still doing the same thing. I also use 93 octane always. Any body have any ideas of what it might be? or what i can do to find out? like what i can check? A friend told me it might be the impeller wear ring?

+1
    Could be the prop or wear ring for sure. Look in the pump with a flashlight and if you see something, pull the pump and replace the parts as needed. Also, why are you using 93 octane?? The engine is optimized to run on regular, so by using a higher octane gas you are probably loosing performance...

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtymSki View Post
    Don't know whats wrong...I have an 04 yamaha fxho cruiser with 57 hours....when i first bought the ski (april 2011 (33 hours) ) it would go 55-58mph easily.I tried to ride the ski and it goes only up to 8k-8.5k rpms and 30-35mph. I feel as if it has no power. I feel as if it has very little acceleration. It slowly goes up to 30-35 then won't go any faster. Also i feel that the exhaust is a little deeper (but that might just be because i took the flaps off). After that I changed the oil and spark plugs just in case, and then took the ski out but still doing the same thing. I also use 93 octane always. Any body have any ideas of what it might be? or what i can do to find out? like what i can check? A friend told me it might be the impeller wear ring?
    My first guess would be spark plugs, but if you changed those to new, make sure you have all of the caps and fuel injector connections in the correct order and plugged in good. You are about 2k rpms low, so I doubt it is a wear ring problem. Look in the pump cavity to see if something is restricting the flow of water or something is wrapped around your drive shaft. Also, on the FX if you have over filled the oil, it will blow out the breather soak oil on your air filter. That alone will restrict your rpms. Check to see if your air filter is dry and clean. Good luck and let us know.

+1
    Did you make sure it is not something simple like being in learning mode? The ski will not go faster than 40 mph if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-1 X 2 View Post
    Did you make sure it is not something simple like being in learning mode? The ski will not go faster than 40 mph if it is.

I've never turned learning mode on, and the light isn't on but ill double check

Thread Information