Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My horror story, do your research first, not after you purchase!!

Greetings all!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Last June I purchased a '99 Seadoo XPL from a good friend of mine. He gave me a great story about how well the ski has been maintained, how reliable it has been for him, and how much fun it was. After going for a short ride (RODE GREAT!!) I decided to bite the bullet and purchase my first Seadoo!

Fast forward through a fun summer of riding to Labor Day... I left the ski tied off floating to go get lunch..only to come down to the water to see only the handlebars above the waterline.

In my ignorance, I didn't properly get the water out of the engine... Hydrolocked. OK. I have the engine gone through, and the best choice is to purchase a rebuilt engine (won't say where, been lurking long enough to know this will start a flame war).

Great! I took it in stride, and I lucked out as one of the techs at the car dealership I work for was a marine tech for 10 years!! After reading many many many pages of information on this forum, I purchase everything I can possibly think of (fuel lines, carb rebuild, oil block off, engine, battery, spark plugs, wear ring, you name it!!) to get the ski back to square one.

My guy has been working on the ski in his free time for two weeks now. The new engine is in the hull, the fuel lines have been replaced, the carbs have been rebuilt, the oil tank has been removed, and the through hull fittings have been sealed. I'm stoked, as I should be riding this weekend.

Not so fast.. The dude I bought it from never replaced the oil in the jet pump assembly, it's melted, fried, locked up, and just a mess... Let's add a jet pump rebuilt, pusher, spring, and even a new pump nose cone to the list as the inside of it is so melted that it's misshapen.

After spending $2000 for the ski and trailer (in good running conndition...surrrrrrre), and well over $2000 in parts and $500 in labor, I'm $4500 into a ski thats barely worth a quarter of that.. To make it worse, I could have purchased a 2004 GTX owned by an old lady and her husband for $4000 at the time.

Living in Maine, and having maybe a 3-4 month riding season this has quickly become my most expensive toy! I just wish I had found this forum BEFORE I purchased the ski, rather than after to become familiar with the many issues that have come up.

While none of you have given me any advice directly, thank you for all of the information you all provide, it has helped me quite a bit and has actually saved me a good bit of aggravation in what has been a very frustrating ownership experience!!

One quick question.. I've came across some conflicting info about the need for the oil tank after switching to pre-mix.

Do I need to keep the tank if i have the 951? Or is that only necessary for the 787 xp's?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    only necessary for the 787 the 951 does not
    Quote Originally Posted by GetMuddy350 View Post
    One quick question.. I've came across some conflicting info about the need for the oil tank after switching to pre-mix.

Do I need to keep the tank if i have the 951? Or is that only necessary for the 787 xp's?

+1
    Sorry to hear that man. but just out of curiosity, why did it sink in the first place?

It actually took on water in a couple of different spots, one of the plugs leaked slowly, and when it rains (which it did) it comes in from the top. It really wasn't a big deal, and I was aware of it before I left it. My battery was weak, the bilge pump was running non-stop, and it killed the battery.. All this in about 4 hours.

What is strange to me is how much water it took on, seemingly suddenly. I guess I never noticed how much that bilge really was pumping until it stopped lol.

It actually took on water in a couple of different spots, one of the plugs leaked slowly, and when it rains (which it did) it comes in from the top. It really wasn't a big deal, and I was aware of it before I left it. My battery was weak, the bilge pump was running non-stop, and it killed the battery.. All this in about 4 hours.

What is strange to me is how much water it took on, seemingly suddenly. I guess I never noticed how much that bilge really was pumping until it stopped lol.

+1
    you sure the carbon seal is not leaking?

The carbon seal is one of the only parts that was in decent shape, and the boot around it is intact as well. Fact of the matter is, I shouldn't have left it on the water without power as long as I did. Most of the major problems I've had can be written off as owner ignorance and also a poor maintenence history.

I'm a car salesman, I know better than to not do my research... But I trusted the guy, and all it took was one 5 minute ride on the thing to have me drooling and cutting a check. Very much an impulse buy... As much as I hate the problems and the money I've spent.. I love the ski, and I'd probably do it again.

+1
    I have left my xpl in the water for a full day during a thunderstorm and it didn't sink. barely got any water in it and my pump doesn't run unless the key is on. i suggest you fill your hull up with water while you got the motor out and look for the real leak. maybe a missing bolt on the grate?

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    I have left my xpl in the water for a full day during a thunderstorm and it didn't sink. barely got any water in it and my pump doesn't run unless the key is on. i suggest you fill your hull up with water while you got the motor out and look for the real leak. maybe a missing bolt on the grate?
    i second this, 4 hours is a short time for a sinkage ! since your so deep you definitely need to isolate the problem there b4 it happens again, that would be terrible.

and i hear ya on the "i'd do it again" statement, had two top ends on a ski in a short period of time a couple years back and it was very discouraging and dammed expensive, but I wouldn't trade all that for one great afternoon on the water, i just love it out there.

but you definitely need to solve the leak problem my xpl spent many many afternoons on the water with no issues as you described. that should be a priority.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information