Thread: 2000 GTI

+1

2000 GTI

Just picked up a used one owner 2000 GTI seadoo. Put new battery, gas, oil, greased it, etc got it water ready. Ran it fine for 20 minutes on the water....then......just barely moves. Opened the seat up to look around and thought it was on fire...of course I know 2 strokes and possible exhaust problem. Pulled it out of the water and it looks like one of the clamps "shifted" on the rubber flange. Tightened it down and took it for spin.....apparently didn't line it up right cause same thing barely moving. I checked in inlet and make sure it wasn't plugged with stuff it wasn't. So out of the water again....took my time on the flange and clamp. Snugged it up, back in the water it took off just great. Across the lake dang! Same thing putter putter putter, got back. Any ideas? The rest of the exhaust looks good no signs of leaks. The inside was full of smoke again so it has to coming from the clamp or flange....as I said I need an expert here....thanks. Airborne kick in anytime!!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    when you say barely moves...does that mean your getting RPM's and it not moving or it dying under throttle? if the motor is dying its because of the smoke. sounds like the pipe was separated and not put back together properly.where is the smoke coming from? the pipe halves? you may need to pull it and re seal it. get a new copper gasket and some red RVT and use it liberally... what motor is in that? a 720?

+1
    It's a 720. I have tighten the clamps on either side of the rubber flange. It seems to keep "pulling off" the first clamp toward the exhaust manifold. Could the rubber flange be fatigued. I cannot see under neath it because it is too tight. I will have to take seat stuff apart and take start unbolting the manifold. It really seems to come loose at the first clamp consistently. I have tightened it three times. Runs great once across the lake, then sputters like no back pressure. Smoke comes out where back half of the ski when I peel the seat off. It sputters like I don't know...like it is choking out. It keeps running just very low rpm. When I tighten it up it runs fine for 200-500 yards full throttle....then sputter. Could I have a bad motor mount that is causing the torque on the clamp and manifold?....as I said I don't know. Have ordered a new rubber flange and two clamps....

How would I check the motor mounts to see if I have a bad one of those? Are there other signs that a motor mounts went bad?
    Last edited by slipnot; 06-29-2011 at 02:48 AM.

+1
    Update = replaced the rubber gasket between the exhaust manifold and the "cone" connector. Bought a new original clamp set. It is a wide steel band with two bolt like clamps on either side. Put it back together it ran alot better and longer. But after 20 minutes of riding it came loose on the exhaust manifold side again. Do I need to check for blockage going out of the ski??? There was no "copper" gasket just a rubber flange or connector that goes on the outside of the exhaust manifold and the on the outside of the cone "exhaust extender". I did NOT use any red sealant should I? I thought the clamps would be enough to hold it. Please advise when you can and naturally thanks!

"when you say barely moves...does that mean your getting RPM's and it not moving or it dying under throttle? It is not dying under throttle, when it loses its backpressure there is no acceleration like it will increase revs but 20% of normal. if the motor is dying its because of the smoke. sounds like the pipe was separated and not put back together properly.where is the smoke coming from? the pipe halves? you may need to pull it and re seal it. get a new copper gasket and some red RVT and use it liberally... what motor is in that? a 720?Yes it is a 720.

+1
    Got a torque wrench and re-tightened everything to spec, including new clamp(s) and rubber sleeve. Have 10+ hours on it. Surprising once you read the manual and use the right tools how everything works out!

Thread Information