Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trying to avoid another wasted weekend. Advice much appreciated.

I have posted a few questions here before and have received lots of great advice thank you to all who have helped.

Last weekend we took out a recently purchased 95 SP. We have next to nothing in this ski so we weren't expecting much to begin with. It came missing a key and in pretty rough cosmetic shape but usually starts right up. I noticed that occasionally the starter doesn't seem to want to engage or it has a possibly weak battery. Gonna try to save the battery with a conditioner/charger we have here at work.

Here's what happened once we got to the lake. Wouldn't start up on the trailer (I really think it was a weak battery) although it had started right up 2 hours earlier. Once I got it to start on the trailer we put on the lake. It started up and I accelerated to almost plane but then it just wouldn't go any faster it would rev up but no movement (once we got it home on Monday discovered the impeller and the wear ring are scrap). I slowed down and the engine died. It wouldn't restart, so I got towed to shore getting the ski turned over a few times in the process. Once on shore it would act like the battery just didn't have enough to kick it over. We tried it over and over periodically but would it would never turn over just clunk. I thought maybe there was water inside so we pulled the plugs and sure enough there was some water in the cylinders.

What I am curious to know is was there water in the cylinders after it died right after I left the ramp? And if so how would it have gotten in there? Bad carbon ring? The ski never filled with water while anchored at the shore while we rode the other ski.

+1
    Sounds like you have a dead cell on the battery. Also sound like the pipe has a exhaust leak.

How would you test for an exhaust leak soapy water sprayed on pipe while running?

If you tow it too fast, you will get water in the cylinders.

It got dumped a few times while we were towing it in. I think there was water in it before it was towed that is why it wouldn't start again. I am trying to figure out what could have caused that.

+1
    Yes I forgot when towing the ski to fast it might of flooded the engine with water. It suck up into the pump pushing water into the motor. before you went home did you take the spark plugs out and turn the motor over with the spark plugs out to get all the water out of the motor?

+1
    My aunts boy friend did it to my old spx. By trying to get on it again and again. Just took the spark plug out blew all the water out by turning the motor over and put new spark plug in it. It ran like a champ after that. To check for exhaust leak back the ski 1/2 way on to the ramp leaving it on the trailer. Take the seat off start the motor and look at the pipe and the manifold for leaks. Looking for black water spots coming from that area too. The more throttle you give you should be able to see a leak if its a bad one anyway. That would make the ski run like shit and possible get water in the motor. But it sounds like it got flip a few times and that how the water got in to the motor.

It was being towed really slow. Again I really think it had water in it before it got towed that is why it wouldn't start.

+1
    How much water in the cyinders are we talking? Might be the o-ring on the head gaskets. That would make it run like shit too and possible get water in the motor. But most of the time it is blown out the exhaust and there shouldn't be a lot of water in motor. The same thing with a exhaust leak. But I am not sure we are treating the symptoms right. The fuel lines might need to be replace fuel filter clean etc for the ski not run up to Parr. We need to eliminate one problem at a time. I would get a new battery. If you think water is getting into to cylinder I would first see if the o-ring is blown in the head gasket. Then check the exhaust gaskets for leaks. But i am just going on what you have told me.

It wasn't gushing out like I remember my old 97 XP used to do after you dumped a few times in a row. But after cranking it over and over a while I got a fair amount of water out of it. I had a rag over each spark plug hole and when I was finish I had enough water in the rags I had to ring each of them out. I'll take the head off in a minute to see what it looks like in there. Also can you run the motor with the jet out? I removed it to inspect the wear ring and the impeller just waiting on new parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information