Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Possible bad injector?

went out today and ski started fine and idled fine, when i gave it some throttle its surged forward and then fell flat on its face. was missing on one cyl. (i assume)

i could get it up to about 6500-7000 rpms but it would mis and sputtle and have a total lack of power. my afr at wot was like 14-14.8 (way lean) my boost was like 6 psi (3 rude). egt never saw 1000 deg, speed was only at 65 mph (80 mph ski).

i took the injectors out and inspected them, washed them out. i know its not a supercharger problem or boost leak. am i safe to say its an injector falure (Bosch 50's)

+1
    How do you know it is not a boost leak? It could be your RRFPR or fuel pump not supplying the pressure adequately. A lot of times when there is a boost leak it will sputter when you get up into the boost.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    How do you know it is not a boost leak? It could be your RRFPR or fuel pump not supplying the pressure adequately. A lot of times when there is a boost leak it will sputter when you get up into the boost.
    my fuel pressure was at 60 plus psi )(tapped directly to the fuel rail. ) when it starts missing it will continue missing even at an idle and then it clears up after a few seconds. im sure there is no boost leak thanks

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    take your rail out ..leave the injectors in put them on a paper towel..turn it over ..and watch the spray pattern.one will look different..check all the connections ..you have adaptor plugs on those..check for corosion...

i had a similar problem once..went though it all injectors .coil packs it ended up being..a tps..sensor.. those injectors have very few hours on them..cant see them going bad..antime soon..

in situations like this i allways dicconect the rude controler to take a variable out..those plug can get corroded and mess with you as well..

+1
    I was chasing the same problem on my 09 PX I bought with 19 hours on it. The ski didn't get ridden much and sit for months at a time. First I put in some known good spark plugs and that seem to help some. Changed coil packs from my good running 08 PX and that seemed to fix it. Well... next time out it ran like crap again. Bought a brand new set of injectors and put new spark plugs in and Stabil with ethanol treatment in with fresh fuel. Problem seems fixed for the last six hours anyway.

+1
    i disconected the rude controller. would hit the limiter on the trailer but never in the water. any way to test the tps sensor? with my fuel rail out the injectors would pop right out when i plug in the lanyard. (it has a billet fuel rail)
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...8&d=1280946555

what are the symptoms of a cloged injector? i figured if it was a spark problem it would run rich and if it was fuel it would run lean.

what are the symptoms of a bad coil?

any more insight?

thanks guys

+1
    Like Breon said look at the spray patterns think of it as a clogged spray tip one would look totally different than others. Also if you have a fuel injector pulse tester make sure all 3 injectors get sa steady pulse but that will be apparent once you look at spray patterns if you have a bad or clogged injectors you will know right awya where it is.

+1
    if he had a boost leak i would think it would run rich seeing the acounted air is not going into the motor.

+1
    Ummm, No! If the boost is not hitting, therefore causing the RR in the RRFPR to do just that... Rising Rate... It actually will be lean due to the 'extra' fuel not being added to the increase in air flow coming into the engine. It will cause the ski to miss and sputter..

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    Ummm, No! If the boost is not hitting, therefore causing the RR in the RRFPR to do just that... Rising Rate... It actually will be lean due to the 'extra' fuel not being added to the increase in air flow coming into the engine. It will cause the ski to miss and sputter..

if it had a boost leak the ecu would compensate..boost leak the ecu wouldnt see the boost either..wouldnt just think you are back on a stock charger..and not add any fuel the rrpfr and the map sensor work off manifold pressure..so a boost leak the ski would run fine..

i blew a charger hose clear off ..and the ski ran fine.. that therory would be true possibly on a maf sensor if the leak was after the sensor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information