Common Problems/Solutions

I have a '97 GTX that was running great last season. I had the dealership winterize it and stored it outside over the winter(it snows here) for the first time since I've owned it. The dealer said it would be fine. Anyway, I'm trying to get them ready for the season and it won't start. I'm still new to the sport, so any common solutions would be helpful. The starter will turn the motor fine but I can't get it to start. I've replaced the spark plugs and sprayed starter fluid into the carburator and put injector/carburator cleaner in the gas tank, but I'm out of ideas before I give up and take it in.

What am I missing?
    Also, I put gas in it from my gas can that did not get fuel preserver in it over the winter season. Can the gas go bad after 6 months? Does it happen that fast? Would it cause this kind of problems?
    Thanks.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    First mistake was the fuel cleaner you put in it as this will destroy the neoprene diaphrams and O rings in the carbs,It swells up everything,takem apart now and have a look at that..also i need to ask the obvious.....it the gas selector ON?

Ah yes, forgot to mention that. Yes, I tried starting in all three positions of the fuel selector as the service guy suggested when I called. He said the valve can get messed up and to try in on "gas", "off", and "reserve". No luck.

I was talking to a friend and mentioned that the spark plugs I got were from autozone(but still the right type) and were not "marine" sparkplugs. Would that make a difference? The machine hasn't been in the water yet and I'm pretty sure the old plugs were the same and had no trouble last season.

Check the battery voltage while cranking. I chased this problem for hours. The ski will sound normal, but if the battery voltage drops, the ignition system will not fire.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    first problem is you let the dealer winterize your ski...im sure they took you for a $100+? all they do is fill the water lines with antifreeze and add stay bil to the gas tank. 5 minute job and $15 in fluids. your spark plugs should be BR8ES. marine or not doesnt matter. Sea-one has a point. I think that you need to pull your carbs and verify what the damage/condition is of all the carb seals and gaskets.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Check the battery voltage while cranking. I chased this problem for hours. The ski will sound normal, but if the battery voltage drops, the ignition system will not fire.
    =1 been there, done that!

+1
    Check the small black wire coming out of the top of the electrical box by the battery. It hooks to the negative post on the battery and if it is unhooked the ski will not fire. It will crank but not start. I have seen this wire missed many times. Cliff

HA! That was it. Thanks Cliff.
    As you can tell, I'm not too mechanically experienced, so when I work on the machines I take pictures and mental notes of how they were before so I can put them back together. I had the batteries out an on a trickle charger 1 day a month and so I just missed that wire, tucked behind something, until you brought it up. I immediately remembered it when I saw your post and had to go outside and check at 11PM.
    Thanks again, and thanks everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by winslowlds View Post
    HA! That was it. Thanks Cliff.
    As you can tell, I'm not too mechanically experienced, so when I work on the machines I take pictures and mental notes of how they were before so I can put them back together. I had the batteries out an on a trickle charger 1 day a month and so I just missed that wire, tucked behind something, until you brought it up. I immediately remembered it when I saw your post and had to go outside and check at 11PM.
    Thanks again, and thanks everyone else.
    i assume you will be sending a check to cliff?? haha! that woulda been $300 at my local repair shop!!!

+1
    i assume you will be sending a check to cliff?? haha! that woulda been $300 at my local repair shop!!!
    My address is _________ HAHA Just kidding. Glad I could help. Cliff

Thread Information