Thread: What impeller?

What impeller?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some some easy bold ons for my 2 2008 RXP-X's and the guys at the shop said a high altitude impeller would be the best place to start.

I ride mostly at 6000 ft (Stampede Reservoir or Tahoe), so needless to say I'm well into the realm of high altitude. WOT I'm capping at about 7400 RPM @ 67 MPH indicated, and acceleration feels pretty descent. What type of impeller should I be looking for?

Is an impeller something I could do myself? I'm fairly savvy with cars, but definitely don't have a garage full of tools... The shop said they estimate 1.5 hours to install, so if I find the part online I'm sure it will be way cheaper than buying through the dealer. If I can do it myself I'm even further ahead.

I read the sticky and it mentions the OPAS. I'm still a little unclear exactly what the OPAS is and where it's located on the ski. Can someone shed a little light for me? Is this something I could do myself?

Any other suggestions for inexpensive mods?

Thanks!

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-Prop-Swapping
    The opas is the paddles that move when you turn the steering column they are on the rear sides of the hull.

+1
    Another option would be an upgrade to your sc to a mini rude or riva xx. At your elevation the stock injectors would be fine. Try one with the impeller change and one with a sc upgrade. One will definitely put a bigger smile on your face!

Thanks for the replies =)

Sounds like changing an impeller is quite a task. I don't have a vice, so I'll probably end up having the shop do it. Any suggestions on what pitch to use? I don't know much about all that, but I've been reading a little about it... Still don't know enough to find the right one for the P-X's at my altitude.

Those SC upgrades would be awesome, but $700 for a part is a little steep for now. For now I'm after those high gain, low cost starter mods that give the biggest gains like you would do to a muscle car - exhaust, cold air intake, chip. For the skis, from what I've read, it's intake grate and OPAS. I've heard that the grates on the stock P-X's are actually descent and I shouldn't change them, is that true?

Thanks again =)

+1
    If you're looking for low cost, high gain mods, buy the 4 inch sc adapter ($40), and buy some kanaflex tubing (or 4 inch pipe of some sort) and replace the factory (small diameter) intake. It doesn't require a lot of tools, time yes, tools no. You could modify both skis for less $$ than one impeller! Also, the p-x grate is good, but it steals top speed.
    A 4 inch intake and a different grate may get you close to your intended top speed!

Thanks Mothman! That sounds like a great way to get started for cheap. I found the SC adapter, how much tubing would I need per ski and about how much does the stuff cost? Any suggestions on a source to get that stuff?

As far as grates go, I'm more concerned with acceleration because that's the most fun. Any gains in top speed would be icing on the cake. I'd even sacrifice a little top end for more bottom end, but if I can find a nice balance that would be great. Any suggestions? I know there are a ton of grates out there. Also, grates are pretty much loctite+bolt on, right?

+1
    Do a search of this site (top right corner) for "buy kanaflex tubing". I haven't purchased any (mine is aluminum) but many members have. Try a bing search too. I would guess 10ft would give enough to route the tubing to the front (above the fuel cell) for both crafts. Remember, if you want to run a filter, make sure it DOES NOT have a cotton/material element! Stainless only. Most don't run a filter at all. You're pretty safe from water ingestion when routed above the fuel cell.
    I have an rxp, so I'm relaying what I've heard on the grate issue. Worx and r&d seem to be popular choices on the p-x line. Don't use the red loctite when bolting it up. Good luck!

Thread Information