Exclamation just bought a 550 and there is salt water build up in the head??? and loss of power..

whats up guys...i just bought a js550 and i took it out for the first time today and there was no power at all...at low throttle its ok but when i give it more it just winds out and stays the same speed...it wont go over like 5 or 6 mph...so i took the head off and found alot of salt water build up under it...could this be the problem? i also noticed that the impeller was ate to hell but even with that shouldnt i be gettind more speed than that?? any answers are greatly appreciated......david

+1
    If the prop is mess up that will have allot to do with it. I would just find a used one for that ski. The salt build up will make the ski over heat. Losing a little power. Maybe fill the head and cylinder with salt away and let it soak. The motor might be just tired too. Good luck

how long should i let it soak for? i was told that it also had a 440 pump...he said it was better for performance...idk

+1
    I not sure how long to soak it. maybe a day or 2. It depends how it break down the salt. Most of the 440 and 550 parts are interchangeable. Like you can put 550 cylinder on a 440 bottom end. The pumps should work on ether ski.

hmmmm...so u really think the impeller would do the trick?

+1
    Post a few photo of the pump and prop. If you can try to do a compression test on the motor. If it is only around 100 psi a cylinder that low and it will make it run like a turd. Check to see if the drive shaft is strip out too. It happen But not offend. Clean the air cleaner if it has one. Maybe check the reeds too .To see if there crack or chipped .If the ski is not snappy The reeds might be some of the problem.

i thought only sx models were reed engines....how would i do a compression test? if it is the compression what do i do to fix it?

+1
    You are right on the reeds. I was thinking of something Else. I think compression tester at harbor freight is under $10. Take out both of your spark plugs and screw the tester into the spark plug hole. Testing one cylinder at a time crank the motor over with the throttle wide open until the gage doesn't go any higher. IT should not bled off. I cant remember what the stock compression is. But 130-155 is what most pwc are. Both cylinder should Be with in 5 to 10 psi of each other. To fixes this . If the cylinder and piston look good. You can just re ring the pistons. I just did it on my snowmobile Because of the compression was low too. But if you Tear into it and the piston and cylinder are scuff up. I would rebuild the top end. Buy getting the next size over piston and rings and taking it with the piston and rings to have it bored. That way the bore will be prefect for the piston. I am not sure if you want to infest that kind of money. There might be some parts out there for cheap. You will just have to research it. Full rebuild kits with gasket are $250- $500 plus the bore job. Bore job can be $50-$150.I all mosts forgot if it has wiseco piston and not the stock cast piston the rings will be different. Most piston and ring are inner changeable. But the wiseco are not. So if they are wiseco piston. You will have to put wiseco rings on it. Good luck on wot you decide.

It sounds to be that you have a cavitation/pump problem if the motor revs out and it doesnt go anywhere. Id pull the pump out and check the prop better and if it and the splines are good, make sure you seal the whole inlet side of the pump VERY WELL with clear silicone. When my 650 was winding out like that and barely moving, i had a combo of weeds stuck in my pump and bad silicone seal around pump....oh ya, im the guy that bought your 440js,haha. It is doggy and compression shows 125psi,but my uncle is milling the head for free to bump up compression, and try a prop that my friend has

Thread Information