+1

04 rxp, big problem, engine oil pissing out of catch can

hey guys, i was riding my 04 rxp modded (list in my sig) at around 6000 rpm cruising when my oil light came on and machine went into limp mode. when i looked in the hull all my oil had come out of the engine through the catch can. i immediately turned it off and got towed back. when i got home i did a compression check and 120 in all cylinders, leakdown was perfect. and oil filter is good with no metal bits in it. now i try to crank the motor and its hard to crank with the plugs in, spins freely without them. the only problem i could find was that the catch can line was kinked a bit. what could be causing all my oil to be pissing out of the crank through the catch can. btw i've been running this setup for 100 hours now.

+1
    That seems very odd!!! I would have thought rings for sure?! But obviously not if
    leakdown is good..
    I'm thinking maybe your exhaust is blocked causing a lot of back pressure?

+1
    sounds like a crank case venting problem to me

+1
    oil overfull will fill the catch can.

sounds like you may have a battery issue as well.

+1
    the battery is brand new, i just bought it 3 weeks ago. i also just replaced the waterbox cause it broke 2 weeks ago. the problem does seem like a venting issue, but why so suddenly? and what are the possibilities?

+1
    I had a similar issue with oil being sent through the breather hose back into the intake (stock intake system, no catch can) The front pump was scored from the ceramic washers and causing this.

Our previous owner probably had a washer failure, replaced the washers and never cleaned the engine. A few days later the same thing happened to my friend with his ski (we bought them as a package deal) He also had a scored front pump. Both engines are currently torn down and being flushed. New bearings, oil pumps and timing chains are going in.

+1
    curious, is there a way to test these parts? im reluctant to tear it down until im sure because i just put the head back on with gaskets and bolts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by masta2000 View Post
    curious, is there a way to test these parts? im reluctant to tear it down until im sure because i just put the head back on with gaskets and bolts.
    I pulled my front cover pretty quick. Either drain the oil or tip the nose of the trailer or ski up high enough that the oil is at the back of the engine, That should be enough to keep the oil from pouring out when you pull the cover off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    I pulled my front cover pretty quick. Either drain the oil or tip the nose of the trailer or ski up high enough that the oil is at the back of the engine, That should be enough to keep the oil from pouring out when you pull the cover off.
    Front pump comes off pretty quick, HARDMAN your pumps go out tommorow morning, needed a much better box for the pto housing. I do have 1 more set like this, though the other front pump does not have the filler housing and oil cap like HardmanGT's pump.......

+1
    Sounds to me like a good possibility is a stuck/scored oil pressure regulator. Do a search, there are a few good posts on it, definitely fits your symptoms.

Thread Information