Winning Like Charlie Sheen Brwu91's Avatar

03 R-12X launch problem

I've read numerous forum posts about skis that bog down when you launch with them and I have one that is doing the same. It makes a blubbering sound when it's idling and it smokes a little when you take off. I was at the lake yesterday and the ski wouldn't do over 45mph but the F1 or F I light never came on. Could this be from dirty spark plugs or another problem? Also I've noticed both my 03 R-12X's are using an absurd amount of oil. I have to add oil before each use and after checking the engine for any oil leaks I have found none. Any helpful suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Usually when they are smoking like a mosquito-fogger, it is due to the Turbo being seized. The Ceramic ball bearing F1 type turbos do not have oil seals like normal turbos and the boost pressure keeps the oil inside of them. When they stop turning, the oil gushes out the shaft into the induction. To check, pull the inlet tube off the turbo and crank the engine to see if it spins. If it does not, carefully use a 9mm 12 point socket on the tiny center nut and turn it clockwise to see if it will spin.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Usually when they are smoking like a mosquito-fogger, it is due to the Turbo being seized. The Ceramic ball bearing F1 type turbos do not have oil seals like normal turbos and the boost pressure keeps the oil inside of them. When they stop turning, the oil gushes out the shaft into the induction. To check, pull the inlet tube off the turbo and crank the engine to see if it spins. If it does not, carefully use a 9mm 12 point socket on the tiny center nut and turn it clockwise to see if it will spin.
    I'll do that as soon as I get them out of the shop. But the weird thing is, they were still launching hard and high. I took a look at the waste gate last night and didn't see anything wrong there but I'm not a pro Honda pwc mechanic. Thanks for the help

I checked the turbo's and they're spinning freely. I also did Nitro's waste gate check. Hooked the water hose up to it and it's still smoking pretty heavily and bogs. I'm wondering if it's the spark plugs and I'm pretty sure they have too much oil in them. Popped off the oil drain cap and oil came spewing out. Look like it's time for new plugs and a oil flush. Think it could be the knock sensor as well? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-see-any-codes..
    kind of the same problem I have. It maxed at 45 mph and ran like a beaten dog.

+1
    new plugs do wonders... especially if you've got a ski with hours on it, do nitro's oil check level

They have 70 hours on them right now. I figure if Foothills Motorsports which is an authorized Honda PWC dealership doesn't fix everything then I'll look into doing everything myself. Start with plugs, replacing all the oil, lubricating everything, replacing the knock sensor and possibly replacing the impeller.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brwu91 View Post
    They have 70 hours on them right now. I figure if Foothills Motorsports which is an authorized Honda PWC dealership doesn't fix everything then I'll look into doing everything myself. Start with plugs, replacing all the oil, lubricating everything, replacing the knock sensor and possibly replacing the impeller.
    There are few of the Dealers that are truly proficient on the Aquatrax. I beleive it was a big mistake to put the Aquatrax line in the motorcycle intead of the marine division. You are much better off reading the forums here and pwctoday.com to maintain your Honda. The FAQs in both forums will answer most questions.

The reason it was running like a beaten dog was because someone had put too much oil in it and it had fouled out the plugs. They pumped out 12 QUARTS of oil ( yes I realize that is an absurd amount and no I wasn't the one that put that much oil into it). I will be taking them out this coming Sunday to test it.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brwu91 View Post
    The reason it was running like a beaten dog was because someone had put too much oil in it and it had fouled out the plugs. They pumped out 12 QUARTS of oil ( yes I realize that is an absurd amount and no I wasn't the one that put that much oil into it). I will be taking them out this coming Sunday to test it.
    "I've noticed both my 03 R-12X's are using an absurd amount of oil. I have to add oil before each use "

from your 1st posts comment I think you must be adding to the problem somehow .....

either way as long as they are running fine after the oil levels are correct.

Waz

If the engine on the R-12 is like my F-12, it's a dry sump oil system, which means if you check oil level while the engine is cold, you won't get a reading on the upper dipstick. This could fool you into thinking the oil level is low.

Thread Information