2005 XLT 1200 - Missing when cold

Hey Folks,

I just bought an 05 XLT1200. It runs great (mostly). Everythig is stock. Only thing I noticed is that when the engine is either fairly cold, I have gone through a long no wake zone, or just idled a while, it seems like one of the carbs might be loading up or something because when I get ready to go again, I get some hesitation and I can tell it's missing hard on one cylinder. Very noticeable loss of power. If I try to play with it and wait for the miss to go away, it will finally "blow it out" and go. I have now found that if I just go ahead and throw the coals to it it will really blow it out an jump up on plane and go. Once you get going it's fine, no missing at all. I have replaced the plugs already.

This weekend my dad said he could smell a lot of raw fuel smell as I took off away from the dock. Not like it's leaking raw fuel (it's not) like it's very rich. He thinks theres a carb loading up at idle from a leaky needle valve or something Wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

I looked at carb kits and I about threw up when I saw the price of a yamaha kit. Please tell me there are aftermarket kits for these things..... Also, how bad is a rebuild of one of these carbs? Hard to get them off the ski? It doesnt "look" to bad but looks can be deceiving.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wil6707 View Post
    Hey Folks,

I If I try to play with it and wait for the miss to go away, it will finally "blow it out" and go. I have now found that if I just go ahead and throw the coals to it it will really blow it out an jump up on plane and go.

This weekend my dad said he could smell a lot of raw fuel smell as I took off away from the dock. Not like it's leaking raw fuel (it's not) like it's very rich. He thinks theres a carb loading up at idle from a leaky needle valve or something Wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

Wil
    What your Dad is suggesting could be the real deal and you may need some carb work. Pulling a carburetor "bank" can be a real chore for a 1st timer. You cannot pull one unless you pull all three.

Before you dive off into the carbs though, consider that when ever you idle for long periods of time, much of the water that flows through the engine to cool it builds up in the water box. In order for the boat to take off with a respectable hole shot, the engine must 1st "blow out" all of the water that accumulates in the exhaust system. This will happen any time you idle for any great length of time. To test this get the boat up to speed, then decellerate to an idle. As soon as the boat gets to idle speed, go wide open again. The boat should take off with no problems because the water box did not have time to refill.

Also, check your plugs to see if any one of the three has a significantly different color from the other two. This may be an indicator that one of your carbs is running different and causing your problem. More than likely, it will be darker than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    What your Dad is suggesting could be the real deal and you may need some carb work. Pulling a carburetor "bank" can be a real chore for a 1st timer. You cannot pull one unless you pull all three.

Before you dive off into the carbs though, consider that when ever you idle for long periods of time, much of the water that flows through the engine to cool it builds up in the water box. In order for the boat to take off with a respectable hole shot, the engine must 1st "blow out" all of the water that accumulates in the exhaust system. This will happen any time you idle for any great length of time. To test this get the boat up to speed, then decellerate to an idle. As soon as the boat gets to idle speed, go wide open again. The boat should take off with no problems because the water box did not have time to refill.

Also, check your plugs to see if any one of the three has a significantly different color from the other two. This may be an indicator that one of your carbs is running different and causing your problem. More than likely, it will be darker than the other two.
    Thanks Salty. I'm going to pull the plugs today and have a look. I took it out yesterday and pretty much anytime you stop and try to go again, it starts missing. How bad the miss is and how long it last seems to be related to how long you are idling/going very slow. One thing I was thinking is: If a carb was loading up like that, wouldn't that eventually affect the idle, because it doesn't.... It idles pretty good as long as you need as far as I can tell.

It's not a huge deal because it's not missing all the time or for very long, but if I can diagnose it as a carb issue, it would be a good off season project. I don't think I'll try to dive into it this summer. Having too much fun riding.

Thread Information