Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

FZR needs more air

My ski is running a consistent 72 with the seats on @ 7620 and 73-74 @ 7700 with the seats off. I'm looking for ideas to get more air into the ski without cutting the side cowlings or running a JD intake because I do a lot of riding in the ocean so water ingestion is always a worry.

I took off the left side cowling today to get some ideas but I'm pretty stumped. You will notice that the majority of the air entering the ski actually enters from around the handle bars. Not much air actually comes in between the gap of the cowling and the deck.

So, I'm looking for some ideas on how to get more air into the ski. I thought about shimming the black/chrome part of the cowling out a bit and then drilling a 2'' hole in the piece behind it to let air in (see pic below).

Any advice is welcome, thanks guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	242770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	242769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3).jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	242771

+1
    IMO it's not worth trying to get any more air inside the hull for performance reasons because it's very unnoticeable. Look at how much air enters the hull when the seat is off and you only gained 80 rpm's. I highly doubt you can get that much air in anywhere else from the ski so gains won't be much. I've also Read on hear that sometimes it's not a good idea to get more air in because the air just heats up inside the hull and circulates around the engine as hot air, but I don't know how true that is. The only way I see some sort of gains is from running a direct cold air intake from outside and just like me you ride in the ocean and worry about water ingestion so IMHO I say your setup is perfect just the way it is.

+1
    Guys here is an option from the Kawi section. Not sure if it will work on the FZ but I like the idea as long as there is still enough air getting into the hull to evacuate the hot air. post 73

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-300x-lx/page8

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    IMO it's not worth trying to get any more air inside the hull for performance reasons because it's very unnoticeable. Look at how much air enters the hull when the seat is off and you only gained 80 rpm's. I highly doubt you can get that much air in anywhere else from the ski so gains won't be much. I've also Read on hear that sometimes it's not a good idea to get more air in because the air just heats up inside the hull and circulates around the engine as hot air, but I don't know how true that is. The only way I see some sort of gains is from running a direct cold air intake from outside and just like me you ride in the ocean and worry about water ingestion so IMHO I say your setup is perfect just the way it is.
    I know its just 80 rpms, but it's translating into a consistent 2mph. Given, not all of that is just from more air. Some of that gain is from keeping the engine cool without the seats on. I do appreciate the input tho

Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Guys here is an option from the Kawi section. Not sure if it will work on the FZ but I like the idea as long as there is still enough air getting into the hull to evacuate the hot air. post 73

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-300x-lx/page8
    Pretty cool, looks like the VXR/s intake from what I can see. I was actually hoping that I could find a way to make something like that, but the front compartment on the FZ is sealed with weather stripping when the hood is closed and there's no inlet like on the VXR/s so I don't think it would be possible for my application.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I know its just 80 rpms, but it's translating into a consistent 2mph. Given, not all of that is just from more air. Some of that gain is from keeping the engine cool without the seats on. I do appreciate the input tho

Pretty cool, looks like the VXR/s intake from what I can see. I was actually hoping that I could find a way to make something like that, but the front compartment on the FZ is sealed with weather stripping when the hood is closed and there's no inlet like on the VXR/s so I don't think it would be possible for my application.
    I do see that you get 2mph. If you do decide to try and get more air in I think you also need to get some of that hot air out. I saw JD shimmed hiss rear seats so that air exited under the seat and also if you are feeling adventurous try a Flo rite at the back. That's all I can think of.

+1
    I saw how JD did the flowrites and it seems pretty bad ass.

+1
    Our front buckets are sealed also. What they did was route the two front vent tubes under the steering colum through the bulkhead and into the front bucket. This is allowing fresh cool air into the engine. It would work on your ski. Also check out post 64

+1
    Up by the front hood latch, there's a little panel about 4"X3" that has 2 of the little button fasteners in it. I've thought about removing it for more air. You wouldn't get direct water into it, but it would drip in, but not on the air filter.

+1
    Removing hot air is not a problem. At 8000 rpm a NA 1800cc engine a is sucking over 4cubic ft/sec, & it should be even more with a boosted motor since the air entering the motor is being compressed(sorry, too lazy to do the math on that). Any hot air in the hull will quickly be replaced with fresh outside air.

Anyone with a boost gauge on their ski could easily find out if they would benefit from more ventilation. Just unplug the sensor from the manifold & see if it shows vacuum at WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Up by the front hood latch, there's a little panel about 4"X3" that has 2 of the little button fasteners in it. I've thought about removing it for more air. You wouldn't get direct water into it, but it would drip in, but not on the air filter.
    physhy, I had the front panel off when I was doing my "Cheap Air" just last week, but I don't see where you would get any extra air by removing it because the front hood is weatherstripped and seems to seal pretty well.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information