drive shaft removal ,carbon seal, etc questions

I'm in the proses of removing the drive shaft to install a bellows band, when pulling the shaft out the seal from the pto came with it. It was difficult to get off the shaft too.(no rust) Now what do I do with the seal ? push it back into the boot on the pto or put back on the shaft and push it in all together? I dont think it's going to slide to easy.
    Next question the carbon ring, how does it work? the shaft is about 1-1/8 and the hole in the ring is 1-1/2. does it seal against the floating ring. Do you think I should replace it, I only have 57 hr, 08 RXP there are no black marks on the hull.

+1
    Put the seal back onto the housing area do not try putting it on the bearing and then installing it, however inspect it to make sure it is in good condition and keep the clamp off. Might want to pick up new clamps also mine I thought were good until I leaked out alot of oil the next ride out. The carbon ring goes on after the boot with the bellow band and slides down the shaft into it. As far as it needed replacing have you noticed cavitation or any leaking from that area? Also how does it look if there are no chips or cracks and hasn't been any other issues you may be fine however I would just replace it while you have it off along with the c clip and the floating ring. You can pick up those parts from the store's oem section. Here is a better visual of how it all goes together minus the bellow band. Also by the way it can be a pain to get the c clip on but if you put a 12 or 13mm socket head in front of the nose cone and tighten down you will be able to reinstall it back on with the new one.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=118&B=12

More questions. where is the drive shaft cap? I only have a o-ring on the end of mine.

+1
    It is at the very end of the shaft where it slides into the pto housing. If it isn't on it reack inside the housing and get it out. You may need to replace it if it came off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wazoo3 View Post
    More questions. where is the drive shaft cap? I only have a o-ring on the end of mine.
    Thats not really an O-ring, thats part of the inside of the rubber stopper , worn off. when u get a new rubber stopper, u will pull that piece off.

If I look into the pto should I see it? If it's in there should I assume It's go togo, this the first time it's been apart ,only 57 hrs on it

+1
    It should look like this. (Don't mind the rusty driveshaft)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dshaft end cap.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	243352  

WOW thanks for the pic. I just slid the drive shaft in and pulled it out and the rubber stopper fell down. I was able to get it out with my 3 finger grabber. I knew it would come in handy some day. My bellow just arrived so now the fun begins.

Ok got it back together in a couple of hours. I used the 14MM socket trick and a 1X2 board to push the ring back. the clip went on with a little muscle. Also fliped the ring, it was not that bad only .005 clearance, only 20 min. in freezer and came out and went in. Piece of cake, thanks to this web site. Will see if my cavitation is gone or better this w/e

Thread Information