New Michigan Boating Law??

I was just wondering if anyone from the Michigan area has heard about a new law that supposedly came out this year. I heard it requires anyone operating a pwc in Michigan has to first take a safety course and then pay $30 to take an exam. Then I guess you get a boating safety certificate that allows you to operate them w/o getting ticketed by DNR. Trying to find out if I bring family up for only a weekend if everyone that wants to drive them has to go through this. Thanks.

+1
    Hi Southside, welcome to the 'Hulk.

Being from LA, I know nothing about Michigan boating laws (old or new). My advise is to contact the American Watercraft Association (AWA). These folks are in the business to know and help protect your liberties as a watercraft owner. They should be able to get the info. you need.

+1
    There are actually several states like that not only for pwc but all vessels/watercraft. I have a friend that is a USCG licensed captain and a particular state wrote him a ticket for not having that states boat operators license on his local lake funny. They said it didn't count.
    What I am saying is be prepared I think we will begin seeing this in every state. LA has one for up to a certain age and it won't be long before everyone will be required to take their safe boating course.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by southsidecop View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone from the Michigan area has heard about a new law that supposedly came out this year. I heard it requires anyone operating a pwc in Michigan has to first take a safety course and then pay $30 to take an exam. Then I guess you get a boating safety certificate that allows you to operate them w/o getting ticketed by DNR. Trying to find out if I bring family up for only a weekend if everyone that wants to drive them has to go through this. Thanks.
    I don't know but you need to call the local authorities there, and my advice is; play by the rules! These modern PWC are very powerful, they are not like driving cars or even boats for that matter. We just saw a jury award $35 million in a WaveRunner crash here in Florida because a "guest rider" didn't know how to drive a PWC, and those parents will never get their daughter back from the grave in this lifetime.

It's not just kids either; we were going through a no-wake zone last week under a bridge, and saw an idiot come around the corner on plane right at us; he almost hit the bridge piling! I motioned for him to slow down but he just kept coming! I finally had to gave him the "circling finger" to indicate a flashing light ahead, at that point he slowed down a little but he was still moving way too fast right by my ski. I think people tend to go crazy on these things if they don't get proper training.

+1
    Training does not cure or even fix stupid.

+1
    Someone mentioned that it may become nationally required sometime in the near future. I wouldn't put it passed them, so that they could generate more revenue...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Someone mentioned that it may become nationally required sometime in the near future. I wouldn't put it passed them, so that they could generate more revenue...
    Yeah, it is called the Sean Kingston Bill.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Honestly Im kinda for this "bill" if you want to call it that. I feel its the same prinicpals as driving a car. you have to take a class and test to drive. I know as crappy as the tests and training is its still something. Why no be able to add this classification to your current liscence? like a Class D or CDL-A?

Thread Information