94 sl 750 just a few more questions.

k and X thanks for all the info.

I finally got the ski back together yesterday. Rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel lines even in the tank, added a fuel filter. Replace the 1/4 amp fuse in the CDI.

I filled the water seperator with gas poured a little gas in the carbs and it cranked right up. I ran it for about 10 seconds and reved it up once and shut it down. I was filling pretty good about it.

Until,,,, I went back about and hour later and tried to start with out pouring fuel in the carbs. It wouldn't start. I'm hoping it will do better once I run it. The compression is a little low on the C 110. The P and M are at 120. I was hoping to make it through the summer before replacing rings. Is their something I'm missing here?

The other thing is when I hooked the battery up the CDI came on. Theirs a toggle switch on the dash, but I was thinking it was for the bilge. The CDI seems to stay on all the time, but is very dim. Is this normal?

+1
    Are your fuel lines full or have bubbles in them?
    Will it start again if pouring gas down the carb?

I can't tell if I have bubbles. I've noticed the gas filter I have installed before the water seperator, is only about 1/2 full. Yes it will start again if I pour gas down the carb.

It will take a couple times before the lines are primed, do it again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasterner View Post
    ..... I ran it for about 10 seconds and reved it up once and shut it down.....
    Ran that long it should be well primed. And appear the ski has ran more than once as well.

If there're bubbles, that means you have a leak somewhere in your fuel system. The larger the leak, the sooner the bubble appears. Smaller leak may take whole day or more to show up.
    Get the ski running again for 10-15 secs, shut it down and let it sit for 1/2 day or so, and look for bubbles before trying to start it. I assume you have the clear fuel lines and bubbles and be easily spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasterner View Post
    ..... I went back about and hour later and tried to start with out pouring fuel in the carbs. It wouldn't start......
    Hard to start is fairly common with carb engines, most of us take out the choke and put in the thumb primer kit for easy start, easier on the battery too. But can't start again within an hour is definitely something wrong. Mine only hard to start if sits for a whole week and 2 quick pumps with thumb prime take care of it. Did you try using the choke to help starting?

You may have hooked the fuel line on return outlet after you put it back together, check that they are on the proper way.

Thread Information