05 RXT oil light came on for a second

My friend bought a used 05 RXT. It runs great good speed etc. The other day while riding it he let off the throttle for a no wake zone and the oil light came on for a second. We checked the oil level and it was just below the top bend of the dipstick. It only came on for a second and hasnt happened again. Not knowing about the ski I am wondering if someone lost the washers on the SC and just replaced them with steel ones and left the crap in the screens. Are there any common sensor issues or other things I can look at before we consider ripping the motor out to check the screens? Am I being to cautious? Any advice would be great. I am sure he doesnt want to replace a motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    My friend bought a used 05 RXT. It runs great good speed etc. The other day while riding it he let off the throttle for a no wake zone and the oil light came on for a second. We checked the oil level and it was just below the top bend of the dipstick. It only came on for a second and hasnt happened again. Not knowing about the ski I am wondering if someone lost the washers on the SC and just replaced them with steel ones and left the crap in the screens. Are there any common sensor issues or other things I can look at before we consider ripping the motor out to check the screens? Am I being to cautious? Any advice would be great. I am sure he doesnt want to replace a motor.
    I can tell you that my friend and I just picked up a pair of 05's from a guy in Monmouth, ME and they both had the washers replaced but the engines were never flushed. Given that you aren't too far from that area I wouldn't be surprised if the same dealership or shop serviced your friend's ski and did it the same way. Don't get in a situation like us! Take a few minutes and pull the front pump and check it out. The crap seems to go there first. If it's clean you are probably in great shape.

Oil level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 between the bends but yours seems reasonable. You would probably see a drop in RPM if it were too high.

There are also some threads about the oil relief getting sticky causing this. The oil sensors are also a known problem.

Hey guy I looked at those two.... A RXT and a RXP right? I thought it was too good to be true. Did you find alot of issues? Are they both problems or just one? I am hoping he doesnt have major issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    Hey guy I looked at those two.... A RXT and a RXP right? I thought it was too good to be true. Did you find alot of issues? Are they both problems or just one? I am hoping he doesnt have major issues.
    I'm sure they are the same ones you looked at. Both engines are out and being rebuilt. Nick got a whole hour on his RXT before it went. My RXP only made it to the end of the no wake. The RXT had a supercharger bearing failure as well as the washer failure. New pumps, bearings and supercharger going in. The RXP is getting a total rebuild. Pissed doesn't even begin to tell you where I'm at.

I am so sorry to hear that you had problems. I am glad it wasnt me, but I am sorry you didnt get lucky with them. You didnt notice anything wrong with them when you picked them up?

+1
    Started them on the trailer briefly knowing that we couldn't run them long. He had no hose available. They started right up and didn't smoke so we thought we were ok. Oil levels seemed ok at the time, too.

Thread Information