1996 xp wont run right need help

Hello so I have done a lot of searching and this board yielded the most insite so I figured I would give it a shot. So I have a 1996 xp with 165psi compression on both cylinders, only mod i can tell is it has vortex flame arrestors. I put new black fuel lines, cleaned the selector valve water separator, I personally rebuilt both carbs then I gave up and I paid ashop. Because i figured I missed something. $350 I have the same problem. They said they rebuilt my carbs again and adjustedI my needles.now imI going to pick it up today because he has given it back three times and each time telling me io t was fixed when it wasn't so im going to try and figure out what's wrong with the stupid thing.

The problem is it will not go anymore then 1/4 throttleish or less. It starts right up and will idle all day long. On the hose I can rev it up to full rpm but if I hit the throttle fast enough it will bog/hesitate then rev right up. In the water it will only idle and maybe 1/4 but not enough to get on plane. Now I have a squirter instead of a choke and if I hit the squirter and rev it quick the engine has no bog on the hose. The same goes in the water if I hit the squirter then the throttle it will get right on plane and as long as you keep using the squirter will stay going just like normal. Now if you don't it will die out and shut off if I stay into the throttle.

Ok so to me that says I have a fuel delivery problem. No my question is where do I go from here. I relize pop off pressure could effect it but im not sure why it would be off after being rebuilt by the owner before me, by me and by the shop I paid. I bought this jet ski used with this problem and nothing listed has helped even make it better. Any help from some experienced guys would really help me out. Thanks guys

+1
    fuel pump?? look over a on pwctoday and pm 64coupe. I believe he had that problem with his spx, I know he's got it all fixed now.

Sure I will shoot him a pm I would find it hard to believe between the three rebuilds the pump would be more then fine but hey im not going to shoot down advice.

+1
    I'm guessing, shoot 64coupe a pm

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    apparently your stealership has a bunch of morons in the repair department... you need to pull the carbs, clean the little black screens, celan them with carb cleaner and q tips, replace the needle and seats. then when you have that done replace the carb gaskets that are between the intake and carbs, I am wondering of your carbs even have a rejet kit in them. when you go to FA's you need to rejet. stock settings are 0 on the HI's and 11/4 to 11/2 turns out on the LO's. now with a rejet kit im sure that is different. look up online the brand that you have and see if they have specs on carb settings if not call them. your stealership has apparently put stock parts back in so that is already leaning you out...either go to a stock air box or find the correct FA rejet kit

Thanks for the tips airborne xp. I have another xp with stock flame arrestors I swapped them over and nothing changed. This little black filters in the carbs have been changed to new ones after the fuel line replacement. Then taken apart again for a recheck after only hose time. My low speed was at 1.5 and now 1 3/4. High speed has been set to 0 and 1

Fixed the problem for anyone reading this it was the pop off pressure. it measured at 65psi so After i lowered it and tried again the thing got right on on plane. went 54 on the gps over the weekend.

Thread Information