Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Different Spin to Foam Removal Mod on FZR

I have been putting off doing this mod for a while now because I wanted to try to figure out a way to make it a little safer for my particular application. First off, allow me to give credit where credit is due. We have all seen Jerry's Foam Removal Mod Here:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...s-FZR-build-up

Jerry did an excellent job taking the stealth approach with this mod by cutting out the center of the black cowling and spraying the inside of the blue cowling black to hide the fact that the center was even cut out. To the untrained eye, one would not even realize that anything was done...IMO, thats the best part about how he did it....There is only one problem that I see with this mod regarding "My Ski". I am running a custom air intake set-up where I have positioned and secured the Starboard side air intake vent nose to the mouth of my filter. If any water was to get into that vent hose, it might make it to the filter which would be very bad
    Jerry states in his thread that this mod is not for everyone. It really depends on your type of riding. Although I am not an open ocean rider, that does not mean that I might not migrate in that direction in the future hence why I wanted to take Jerry's mod and put my own spin on it. This may be a good alternative to all you rough water riders.

First off, take a look at my air intake set-up and you will see why I am being cautious with how I want to accomplish this mod: (See Post #15)

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-an-Air-Intake...

The first precaution I took was arranging my Starboard side air intake vent hose (Feeds my Intake) in the shape of a "P-Trap". If by chance any water was to get in the hose, hopefully it will rest at the bottom of the hose and not continue toward my air filter

The second precaution I took was installing a small screen over the duct inlet. This is just standard window screen held in place by a band clamp. The screen looks thicker than it really is (I may choose to remove this depending on what I find on my next ride with the amount of water reaching that area) This picture shows a rough fit...I took it off, made a couple trim cuts and re-installed it, but forgot to snap another picture...sorry it looks hack.

COWLINGS:

Here is what we are starting with on the FZR:

In Jerry's mod, he cuts out the entire center section of the black cowling. To do so, 2 rivets have to be drilled out. A Dremmel also has to be used to cut out the center section....Me and Dremmel Tools do not get along , so I decided to take a different route in reference to the cowlings.

I decided to drill a series of small holes in line within the vent rows (Chrome pieces do not have to come out, which means no rivets have to be drilled.....Its not stealth, but clean looking IMO. I actually drilled the initial holes through both the black and blue cowlings at the same time. The possibility for water to enter the small holes on the black cowling vs the entire removed center section is reduced going this route.

Next, like Jerry, I drilled a series of larger holes in the blue cowlings. Painting the blue cowlings black is not needed due to the fact that the blue cowling can not be seen through the holes that were drilled in the black cowling.

Finished Product:

When I was finished, I wasn't quite satisfied, so I took things a little further after staring at the ski for about 20 minutes.

With the hood/trunk lid up I realized that the front gauge cowling extended over on top of the air inlet ducts. When closed, the lid covers the cowlings. I noticed that there is a small channel on each side of the ski that extends from the very front of the ski along the lid seams all the way up to the front gauge cowlings above the air intake ducts. (With the lid closed, you can feel with your fingers that the channel is there) My thinking is that when the ski is moving, there may be some air moving up those channels, so I decided to drill some holes in cowlings above the air ducts. Even if cowl is not picking up any air from the front of the ski, at the very least the holes drilled near the inlet duct is a plus in getting some cooler air in.

So there you have it, whether or not this helps or not is yet to be determined, but I figure this might be an alternative for all you ocean riders out there that were hesitant to doing Jerry's Mod to the T....Enjoy.

NOTE: On the port side, I did not install a screen over the vent duct. The Port side vent duct hose on my ski runs over across to the hull floor on the starboard side so if I was to get any water in that hose, it would end up being far from my filter. Everything else on the Port side was done exactly the same as on the Starboard side. I figure the Port side duct might act as an aid in keeping engine bay temperatures down or at the very least, draw in a little more cool air in. It's obvious that I utilized the Starboard side modification to feed my air intake.

Good luck

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I like it!!! Well thought out and well done!

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    I like it!!! Well thought out and well done!
    Thanks man. I don't know if it will be much of an improvement, but it's definitely better than stock IMO.

+1
    Looks good. FYI, you can buy outerwear material(same stuff used in Riva's CAI prefilter & flo-rites) for the air inlet. It'll be a lot better at repelling water than that screen & they'll make it whatever size you want. I've never had a custom one done, so I don't know what to expect on cost.
    http://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=11446

+1
    Awesome and great write up! However, I read that the stock vent tube will/can collapse when directly attached to the SC. That's why JD uses kanaflex and not the stock vent hose.

+1
    It looks like swiss cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Looks good. FYI, you can buy outerwear material(same stuff used in Riva's CAI prefilter & flo-rites) for the air inlet. It'll be a lot better at repelling water than that screen & they'll make it whatever size you want. I've never had a custom one done, so I don't know what to expect on cost.
    http://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=11446
    Great to know! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Awesome and great write up! However, I read that the stock vent tube will/can collapse when directly attached to the SC. That's why JD uses kanaflex and not the stock vent hose.

Thanks Mike...I don't have the stock vent tube going to the SC though. It is routed to the mouth of my Air Filter. Check the pics in that link I posted above.

It does LOL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STALKER FZR View Post
    Thanks Mike...I don't have the stock vent tube going to the SC though. It is routed to the mouth of my Air Filter. Check the pics in that link I posted above.
    Sorry, that's what I meant. I read somewhere on GH that there was a setup similar to yours with the stock vent tube running into the stock tube that goes into the airbox and I heard the stock vent tube collapsed. Just keep an eye on it for safetys sake I'll try to dig up the thread for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information