Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Speedfreaks Bellow band thrust washer concern....

OK i do have one question...After redoing my 2 skis with new carbon seals and bellow boots i noticed it is now considerably tighter than before.Now i also run the 2 rubber O rings in the bellows something like the bellow band...After installing the new boot,seal and O rings i noticed that i cound not pull the seal and hat apart...MY question or concern is now the amount of pressure on the crank thrust washers...what is the end play suppost to be after installing the bellowband and what is the expected thrust bearing life is after installation???This is a concern of mine after seeing how tight the boot was with just the O rings..Needless to say i took the O rings off being worried that i may burn up the thrust bearings...Any info would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Sno,..

+1
    Damn good question!! I had wondered about the hat wear but didn't even think further about the bearings!

+1
    damn am installing mine today should i or should'nt i install it

+1
    Still running mine, Works great!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Still running mine, Works great!!
    How many hours on the band and have you checked the end play on the crank? I guess it would be feasible to set up a dial indicator and check frequently to try to catch any wear before it gets out off tolerences.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    How many hours on the band and have you checked the end play on the crank? I guess it would be feasible to set up a dial indicator and check frequently to try to catch any wear before it gets out off tolerences.
    Not sure on the hours, but it's been over a month now. I also run a fat O-ring behind the boot as well. I do need a new shaft soon tho, Clip groove is worn out .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	242906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	242907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	242908

+1
    Million dollar question, what caused the groove to wear like that?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    OK i do have one question...After redoing my 2 skis with new carbon seals and bellow boots i noticed it is now considerably tighter than before.Now i also run the 2 rubber O rings in the bellows something like the bellow band...After installing the new boot,seal and O rings i noticed that i cound not pull the seal and hat apart...MY question or concern is now the amount of pressure on the crank thrust washers...what is the end play suppost to be after installing the bellowband and what is the expected thrust bearing life is after installation???This is a concern of mine after seeing how tight the boot was with just the O rings..Needless to say i took the O rings off being worried that i may burn up the thrust bearings...Any info would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Sno,..
    Sno, smart thinking but I personaly doubt it will have any effect on thrust bearing wear. The reason being is that it is not really pushing the shaft forward but only making it harder for the bellow to colapse under vacuum. Once under power, the pressure in the tunnel is puting more pressure on the seal than the bellow band ever could. My .02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Sno, smart thinking but I personaly doubt it will have any effect on thrust bearing wear. The reason being is that it is not really pushing the shaft forward but only making it harder for the bellow to colapse under vacuum. Once under power, the pressure in the tunnel is puting more pressure on the seal than the bellow band ever could. My .02
    An X for example makes a great amount tunnel pressure over 50mph. I've seen the bellows swell and push the orings off onto the shaft and tunnel. This also puts an extreme amount of pressure on the c-clip and wears out the driveshaft. If the bellows can't absorb the pressure with a collar on it where is it going to go? Forward I assume and pushing on the carbon seal. Xs wear out thrust bearings as it is with just the tunnel pressure and stock bellows. Just curious is all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    An X for example makes a great amount tunnel pressure over 50mph. I've seen the bellows swell and push the orings off onto the shaft and tunnel. This also puts an extreme amount of pressure on the c-clip and wears out the driveshaft. If the bellows can't absorb the pressure with a collar on it where is it going to go? Forward I assume and pushing on the carbon seal. Xs wear out thrust bearings as it is with just the tunnel pressure and stock bellows. Just curious is all.
    I was considering the same thing but I'm thinking the design of the bellow band is not only making the bellow harder to colapse but also harder to stretch. Thinking out loud. Good thread.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information