Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RPM Problem

Angry RPM Problem

Went riding with my brother today on our 2 '08 RXP-X's and toward the end of the day he mentioned he had a problem. When you gun it it revs to about 6K then gradually climbs to 7K max, usually 6.8-6.9K... On mine when you gun it, it wants to get to 7K ASAP then caps at about 7.2-7.3K, so I know there's something going on with his.

When I pulled the plugs when we pulled them out of the water A LOT of water came out. I'm not sure what he was doing, but I have a feeling he was spinning circles with the trim all the way down, digging the nose into the lake. He also like to pull the trim all the way up and hop the ski out of the water causing it to suck air briefly...

Both skis have ~30hrs on them, both were summerized not too long ago. Stampede has a ton of crap floating around in it due to the unusually high lake level, but I've looked at the impeller from the stern as well as through the grate and it looks fine. There's no cavitation or anything, it just won't rev to full RPM.

Lake elevation: 6000
    Temperature: 84
    Water Temp: 68

Thanks for any help

+1
    Check the oil level and also see if has water in it

Don't see any evidence of water. Oil level might be a touch lower than the other ski, but don't think if it's enough to cause a problem.

+1
    When you say a LOT of water? How much are we talking about. All the extra weight from water in the hull will cause you to lose rpms.. What are his rpms usually?
    Both your rpms are very low, I don't think the altitude would affect it that much. You should be aiming for 8k.

A lot being it took about 5 min for it to all drain out. After it was trained I took it back out to see if that caused the problem and it was the same. Both skis normally run 7300ish. I thought that seemed a little low, but I haven't noticed a top speed decrease since we got them, they typically indicate 68 (GPS is only 60 though). When we first got them I though I was in the high 7's, but I haven't really paid much attention until recently.

Does it sound like something is wearing out on both of them, just something wore out faster on his? I forgot to mention, no mods on either. I've got a couple posts on here about things I want to do, but haven't had the $$ or time.

+1
    Sounds like the splashing may have caused you to get water in the hull and you sucked some up. The bigger question is about your RPM's

You should be able to spin those engines at least 8K and about 68 GPS from the factory. You aren't using the learner key are you? You might want to check to see if you have a boost leak. You can easily blow a hose off a coupling on those. It's a simple fix if that's the case. Just push the hose back on and clamp it down tight.

Lol, no, not using the learner key. Although his ski felt like a glorified learner key...

How do I check for a boost leak? Do I need to take it to the shop?

Where is the hose located? I'll head out there now and poke around...

You don't think being way up at 6000 ft is robbing me of a few hundred RPM?

Edit:
    I traced all the hoses I could and didn't see anything out of places.
    Also, if it turns out he sucked up a bit of water is that something that can be easily remedied?

+1
    There is a problem with both skis, even at that altitude you should be turning more rpms.
    As was said check to make sure all intercooler hoses are tight on both. There's a good chance that you've probably ingested water on your brothers ski.
    Change plugs on both and see if that helps.

+1
    If your brother likes to hop his pump out of the water, that will put alot of wear on the sc clutch washers. I would check the slip on your sc clutches.

Seadoo has a prop for high altitude. It has less pitch to get the RPM's up to 8000 where they should be and that will net you some more speed.

+1
    You both need repitches. Be careful doing nosedives and hopping. Not conducive to your skis longevity bro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information