Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

06 15f with 260 hours

Hi,

I'm looking at 06 15f with 260 hours for $3500 including a nice 1 place trailer. I realize that it's a lot of hours but I don't want to spend a lot of money and around here, people think their used jetski's can be sold at brand new prices... In other words, this is the best deal I've seen around here for quite a while.

Thoughts? Pass and keep looking? Is there still a few years of life left in the engine?

The current owner is the original and has all the records. Good maintenance record. Brand new solas impeller and rebuilt the jet (bearings, seals) last fall.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

I'd ask if the bearings had failed or if it was scheduled maintenance (for the pump) and where the job was done. Then I'd go and speak to the tech.If there was a failure I'd walk.
    Maybe the bearings took out the impeller and the engine is simply waiting to join them in hell?

rt

+1
    Thanks Rotortiller. Good advice. I guess I didn't realize that the pump failed that it could take out the engine. Scary stuff. My guess is that it's the same issue as in this thread

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...g-on-the-15F-s

Does this plague all the 15f's or just some of them?

Thanks,

Mike

If engine is running good now, what is there to worry? Just check/replace pump bearings when you get the ski and start fresh. Yes, the pump bearing/engine damage can happen on any 2004-2011 15F (and many other models).

+1
    Ok, so got a little more info on the pump bearing replacement.

The previous owner sucked up a rock which dinged up the propeller. When the dealer went in to replace the prop, he said the pump was fine, but that there was a little bit of play in the bearings and said he had enough hours on the machine and with the play, he may as well rebuild it and repack the bearings. He said he paid around $950 for the job.

So, with that knowledge.... Is there still life left in the machine? Would it be better to pass and keep looking? How many reliable hours are there in these machines? Is 260 hours too high? I know the yamaha VX series is probably a bit more reliable, but I've ridden the 15f's and they are really a fun machine. I've never ridden a VX so I can't compare.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Mike

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    What makes the vx more reliable? the old ones are 2 stroke and the new ones are still really new. the 15f if taken care of is about as good as it gets for reliability.

Sean

+1
    Thanks smokeysevin. That makes me feel better. I know it's been taken care of and I plan on taking care of it.

I've just heard yamahas make more reliable engines.... The only problem is I don't love the vx's and I don't want to pay for an FX... And I've ridden a stx-15f and loved it.....

I guess my main hesitation is people talking about their pump bearings freezing up and ruining the engine. I'm hoping that it's a small majority with the 15f's.. I know on the 250's it was more common.

Thanks again.

Mike

So, with that knowledge.... Is there still life left in the machine?
    Certainly.250 hours on a non blown four stroke is little in the way of engine wear and tear.
    You did your homework and that is all you can do with a used machine. 150 hours or 250 is not alot on a maintained machine IMO.

rt

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    change the bearings and check for play in the crankshaft, there should be a guide on how to do that.

Sean

+1
    Thanks all for the help. So, he wanted 3700 for it. When I got there (an hour drive), I realized that the ski actually had 400 hours on it (honest mistake on his part. His wife looked at the wrong number). Anyway, we talked about it for a bit, and he finally let it go for 2800. He has had it serviced religiously by a Kawasaki dealer and said he has never had an issue with it (besides the rock going through the impeller). Only time will tell if I made the right decision, but it came with a full tank of gas and 2 sand anchors SO, I feel good about it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information