Cool XP Limited D-Day

Well, My 98 XP Limited 951 rebuild is complete and installed. PITA! A couple questions before starting her up. When installing the head pipe, a bit of loctite seaped out at the flange and onto the gasket while I was screwing down the three hex this ok? Second, How critical is loctite on the carb bolts? I didn't apply any, but made sure they were tight. I converted to premix and getting ready for the break in process now. I have heard of two different ways to break it in and not sure which to use.

Using mineral oil both ways-32:1 premix

The first process I read is to ride in half hour increments giving 20% throttle, then 50%, then 90% - varying the throttle at all times and letting ski cool down completely between sessions.

The second way I heard was to do heat cycles- 10x 1 minute without hose-very low idle and rich fuel mixture, giving atleast 45 minutes of cool down between cycles, then 1 or 2 10 minute cycles on the hose, and then 2 more 20 minute cycles in the water(one at trailer and one riding)

The second one seems sketchy..any thoughts? I also read somewhere deep in the forums that if you premix it's ok to use synthetic for the break in/oil bath but if injecting then use mineral.

Any advice, questions, concerns would be greatly appreciated. I put A LOT of time, effort and money into this build and I want to make sure it runs the way it should.

I just coated the piston, walls and rings with mineral oil. Took it out and was pulling tubers within 1/2 hour. 112 hours later, compression is still 145 and max RPMS is 6,840.

Launched it Saturday..things went pretty smooth. I had a little to much tension in the throttle cable which gave a high idle..Backed that off and adjusted idle screw and its all good. Sometimes when getting on plane, the boat will hesitate a little. I am pumping the throttle a bit for the break in, but I'm not sure if it's rich or lean down low. I was also low a fuel..maybe the baffle was in and out of gas and was leaning out that way? Any thoughts?

Also happens mostly after extended idling (warm up and no wake zones)

Where are all the gurus? Bump

Bend OR
    If you are using mineral 2 stroke oil on a 951 motor I don't think it getting the proper lube. You should be using something with higher protection. Just my thoughts.

That was for the break in period only. I ended up using synthetic anyway. Any thoughts on the issues down low?

Bend OR
    Carbs are in sink. maybe ones not opening at the sometime. Making it stall a bit. When you rebuilt it were the reeds gaping off the cage a little or were they nice and tight on the reed cage. That may be doing it too. Or it might be something Else.

The reeds made a nice seal. Carbon-tech SS. I did bring out the low speed 1/4 turn from factory. It was just about to run away on the trailer so I fattened it a little. I think it may be loading up after extended idle.

Thread Information